Saturday, August 7, 2021

Two Finishes!

 Last week, I gave you a sneak peak at a gift I made, and, now that the gift has been given, I can show you the finished wall hanging.  I used up some more of my 30's prints for this one, although the barn fabric is just from my red drawer.  I quilted the barn with vertical lines to look like barn boards.  The silo is quilted with horizontal lines.  The little basket block was in my spare parts box--I made many basket blocks years ago with my friend, Christine.  This was a good opportunity to use one for a barn quilt for the barn.  The recipients loved their new wall hanging.  I can't wait to see where they put it in their house when we can go to visit them. (The barn block is a Lori Holt Farm Girl Vintage pattern)


The second finish of the week is the zigzag quilt. I quilted it with dark green thread in the darker zigzag and with tan coloured thread in the lighter zigzag.  My kitchen floor has good light in the afternoon to take a picture and see the texture of the quilting. The binding is the last of the dark green fabric I used on the back of the quilt. 


I spent a couple of hours hand stitching the binding down for my slow stitching this week. 


The Elgin Piecemakers Guild did a swap of neutral 5" blocks a couple of years ago and I used up all my black, gray and white ones in a previous project which you can see below.  I still have about 150 beige, tan and brown blocks in a pile waiting to be made into a quilt. 



I took out the remaining blocks this week and looked in my stash for setting fabric possibilities.  I found some gold fabric which looked ok. 


Then, I happened upon some rust coloured grunge fabric that has been in my stash for a while.  I think this quilt will have 9 or 12 nine patch blocks with the rust coloured fabric in between, as shown below.  The blocks are just laying on top of the fabric for this photo. I will use up the extra blocks on the back of the quilt. 


I am going to be starting a new embroidery project this week, a gift from my daughter for Christmas.  I wanted to finish Love Letters before starting another hand stitching project. I hope to have some progress to show before next weekend's Slow Sunday Stitching link up at Kathy's blog. 


We took a drive in the country this week and saw this old barn. 


Finn is his usual cute little self...this week, he helped our daughter read a book. 


Have a great week!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely wallhanging, who wouldn't love it?
    Isn't it great the feeling of hand stitching a binding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a great stash of gorgeous fabrics! I love the look of your new embroidery project. Finn is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finn can read as well!! Isn't he a clever dog? The wall hanging is a lovely finish. Love the fabrics, especially that used for the silos. The zig zag quilt looks impressive, but I must say the Elgin Piecemakers Guild quilt has won my heart. Goodness those blocks look fabulous against the aqua. Enjoy embroidery your Summer Wildflowers project. How pretty it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that orangey fabric is perfect to set off those blocks. I think it was just waiting for this project. Love the zig zag quilt... Hmmm might have to remember that for all my hst blocks. Finn is a great helper! So cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wall hanging. Your zigzag quilt looks great. I like the rust fabric for those beige and brown blocks. Finn is becoming an intellectual! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wall-hanging is so fun! What a lovely gift! Fun to see your plans for those great blocks, too - I agree that the Grunge background is the perfect choice. Enjoy your new embroidery project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finishes, and what a great gift. I love your new embroidery project. I love old barns. Finn is his usual cute self!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the barn wall hanging and the photo of the old barn. And fabulous job on your zig zag quilt. Looking forward to seeing your progress on your new embroidery project. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute barn block! Great finishes and those square in a square blocks are fun to look at in different colors.
    I love that photo of the old barn and Queens Anne lace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Finn is such a helper! Hahahaha! What a beautiful barn quilt finish and the quilt possibilities are wonderful. You do such a good job!

    ReplyDelete