Saturday, September 25, 2021

Charm Pack Quilt Top Done and some Knitting Progress

 It's been a busy week here--we are having our three bedrooms painted this coming week and then new carpeting will be installed in mid October.  This means that everything must be moved out of all of the bedrooms and closets.  This has resulted in lots of purging and trips to the thrift store to donate items we no longer need. Lots of work, but all of our efforts will pay off in the end.  I did take a few sewing breaks this week and managed to finish off the charm square quilt top.  I made this quilt by the "design as you go" method, letting the quilt tell me what to add next.  If you look closely, you can see that I had to add narrow strips around the centre stars to get the four patches on point to fit properly. 

I had just enough green fabric to do this with just a few bits leftover for the scrap bin. 


I toyed with the idea of adding a 2.5" brown border around the outside of the quilt. 


I used up every single charm square in the two packages on this quilt and had to get creative to finish off the top and bottom borders as you can see below. 


In the end, I achieved my goal of using up the two charm packs and using only fabric in my stash to make the quilt.  I went hunting for backing fabric and found a couple of pieces that I will creatively piece to make the backing.  There is just enough brown fabric to make the binding.


I added some more rows of knitting to the snow person.  I noticed my dinner plate has a knitter on it too! The pattern is called "Naif" by Villeroy and Bosch.  She looks like a much more experienced knitter than me... Her yarn bowl holds a lot of wool!


My daughter's Dubrovnik cross stitch looks like it will soon be done!


Finn says sunbeams are the best place for a nap. 
 

A friend is organizing a UFO challenge and several friends have added their names to the list of participants.  I made a list of my UFO's--22!  There may be more lurking somewhere, but this will do for now.  We are going to finish one UFO per month for the next year.  I am hoping I can whittle down my list to a more reasonable number!  The first one up is the charm square quilt at the top of this post.  I hope to have it quilted, bound and labelled in the next couple of weeks. 

I will link up with Kathy and the slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. I hope to do some more knitting tomorrow. It would be nice to have the snow person done before the snow flies!




14 comments:

  1. So satisfying to use up those charm squares. I try every year to finish my UFOs but I keep adding new projects to the pile! Doing it as a group should focus you to finish them. Your snow person is getting there, I think I'd like that pattern in a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking your snow person IS a hat. I agree, it would make a cute one. Good luck on the UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun "design as you go" quilt!
    Your cable knitting is most impressive!
    Good luck with the UFO challenge... such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The charm square quilt is so pretty! The green background really appeals to me. Have fun finishing it up! Your UFO project sounds like a good idea. I have plenty of those, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Love your star quilt..so pretty. Having a challenge to finish UFO's really helps. I try to do at least one a month. I've got about 30 UFO's and counting, because I keep seeing quilts I want to make, the pile keeps getting bigger. Oh well, they will get finished some day! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super job using the charm packs up!! I always find it hard to do that and end up with pieces left over from them...Love the greens in this piece hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds busy your way, but will be worth it in the end. Finn looks comfy. Love your newest project and your daughters beautiful embroidery! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with finishing your UFOs. I really like that charm pack quilt. Your daughter's cross-stitch is very pretty. Love those Finn photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on managing to add finishing touches to charm quilt despite being busy preparing for painters. Snowman is coming along. Coincidence you have a dinner plate with a knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been gifted charm squares but was never sure what to do with them. Great that your quilt is well on the way to completion. Doesn't Fin look contented snoozing in the sun beams!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great looking quilt. Snow person has grown and the stitching that your daughter is stitching is beautiful. Finn has the right idea, catch as many rays as possible. Have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your charm pack quilt turned out so cute! I love the green background you chose to set off all the pretty colors and the brown sashing was perfect. Give Finn a pat from me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors and fabrics in this charm pack quilt ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that green with the black and colorful blocks.
    Awesome combination!
    I'm with finn and so is Nutmeg

    ReplyDelete