Saturday, October 2, 2021

September UFO finished and Some Slow Stitching

Last week, I mentioned that I was doing a UFO challenge with a group of friends starting in October.  Since I have way more than 12 UFO's, I decided this week to get one done for the month of September! I quilted the Barn wall hanging earlier in the week and did the binding and hanging sleeve as well before changing the calendar to October!


 Here is a picture of the finished wall hanging with part of it covered...I'm not revealing who this is for just yet. The barn is quilted with vertical lines and the roof has horizontal lines.  


I played bobbin chicken while quilting and binding this quilt and won!  Not much thread left on the bobbin by the time I was done!


I found some leftovers from the zigzag quilt in a drawer this week and used them to make three more placemats for Meals on Wheels recipients.  I still have a bit more binding to hand sew down on the last one. The backing fabric is the same on all three.  The placemats are reversible. 



My knitting is to the point where I had to stuff the bottom part of the snow person.  Yikes...now my mistakes are a little more obvious!!!  It is what it is...I am learning.  I just have to do the head and then a hat, scarf and face. 


I pieced the backing for the charm square quilt I showed in last week's post.  This quilt is my October UFO --I hope to have it pin basted tomorrow and start the machine quilting with my walking foot. I am sticking with my goal to use only fabric I have on hand and not buy anything.  I had one yard of the flower fabric and used the yellow to make the back big enough. This picture only shows part of the back. 


Like many quilters, I am not a big fan of mending.  A while ago, Finn the grand-dog smelled something good in my daughter's coat pocket (it was not food!) and decided the best way to get to it was through the lining of her coat.  He also chewed a hole in her pocket.  The pocket was fixed by machine, but the lining holes were patched by hand.  A friend had a piece of black lining fabric that was big enough to cover the holes and was kind enough to give it to me.  There is no fabric store in the town where I live.  Thanks, Pam!




When I finished the patch on the lining, I noticed the seam in the armhole had come apart, so I fixed that too. 



A friend and I walk every morning at a local park and we often see birds, squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits. Sometimes, there are deer and one time there were coyotes. This week, we saw a groundhog.  


It's a beautiful place to walk.  Some of the trees have started to change colour, but not very many. 


Finn, as you all know, loves a nap and a snuggle.  


My daughter has been working on her cross stitch picture of Dubrovnik...only a few more colours to go. The white areas will all be filled in with stitches by the time she is done. 
 

I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday stitchers in the morning. 

14 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the mending - I had cut off 3 pair of pants to make into capri's going on two weeks ago now and they are still sitting for me to work on - maybe they will be done by spring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is something I don't like is mending. No one at home understand my reasons, for them it is the same as sewing patchwork blocks.
    Barn wall hanging is pretty and I love your new placemats.
    OWO groundhog is very nice creature. Have a wonderful new stitching week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very busy woman. Just love how your scrappy top turned. Personally I can’t see the mistake your talking about in your knitting. I’m looking forward to seeing what it will look like. Groundhogs are cute but are a nuisance. We have way too many on our property You have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Rose - I see no mistake but just a beautiful project. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been very busy. Finn looks like an innocent that would never destroy pants pockets, but I know how that happens as I also have a grand-pup. I really like the barn quilt. I do not see mistakes in the snowman knitting. Looking forward to seeing more of this ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your barn wall-hanging is really pretty, and love those placemats, too! None of us really like mending, but I always feel a great sense of accomplishment when I do successfully get something like that done. Naughty Finn, though! He looks so innocent in his photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love to see your projects and your daughter's beautiful cross stitch. Naughty Finn, he doesn't look guilty! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh! Don't like doing mending of any kind either. Sometimes it's necessary though. It always takes me time to just get going on it. Haha! Your barn quilt is pretty and the Meals on Wheels mats will surely get a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who would have thought that a dog as angelic looking as Finn would destroy a pocket? Mending is a necessary chore, one most of us tend to put off for a while. Then when we finally get around to fixing whatever it is, we find its not such a big job after all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice ufo finish
    superb mending job~ wow good work.
    Can't wait to see the snowman finished

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's very neat mending. Lola's been known to investigate the odd pocket or two! Nice finishes on some UFOs too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful barn quilt and how fun to be working off those UFOs. You did a fabulous job on mending. I do not like to mend either, but often get mending jobs sent my way. Lol. Have a great week and happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should feel so good about your accomplishments this week. That patching job was splendid. Beautiful barn quilt and I will be interested in seeing that snowman you are knitting.mclever you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, a lot accomplished this week! I don't mind mending, but always seem to put it off. I need to replace the cuffs on a machine knit sweater. I should do that as it's starting to cool down and I like to wear it to the office in the colder months.

    ReplyDelete