Saturday, October 30, 2021

Kitchen Scraps Challenge and Another UFO Done.

 Each year, the Elgin Piecemakers Guild issues a challenge to their members.  This past year, we were given a piece of insulbrite thermal batting and asked to make something for our kitchens using scraps.  On Thursday night, we met in person for the first time in ages and revealed our projects.  There were oven mitts, hot pads, a casserole carrier, tea cosies, etc.  Many in the group used selvages in their projects.  I decided to raid my denim stash (from old jeans) for my lasagna pan hot pad.  I have a large orange lasagna pan and always have to use more than one hot pad under it, but not anymore! It was fun to use improv piecing for the top and I found a fun fat quarter in my stash for the backing. 



The perfect size for the orange dish! I used 28wt orange thread for the quilting. 




I finished the quilting and binding on my Down on the Farm charm square quilt this week.  It even has a label!   I used the extra backing fabric for the binding. Another baby quilt ready for gifting!






Since I have finished 3 UFO's in the last month, I decided to give myself permission to start a new quilt!  Last Spring, I made a Modern Handcraft Snowflake quilt for a friend.  I used red and white prints for the background and made the snowflake with Kona White.  I have wanted to make myself a snowflake quilt too and since the Modern Handcraft Blog is holding another "Snowalong" this year, I joined in! This year, Nicole Daksiewicz has added instructions on how to make a Buffalo Plaid Snowflake quilt.  After looking at all of the possibilities in my stash, I picked these fabrics for my quilt and got all my cutting done.  The gray fabric is Essex Linen and the red and black fabric is Kona.  The white with the light gray dots will be used for the snowflake. 


I have made two blocks so far and have started a third one. 


I made a new hat this week too.  I received this variegated wool for Christmas last year and found a pattern that I thought would work.  I made a swatch and it was the right size so I started knitting.   


I had to switch to double pointed needles for the top of the hat. 


This is where the hat went off the rails---I tried it on at this point and it was so big, it went over my face!  I ended up tearing it all out and now I have to start over with fewer stitches on the needles!  Good thing that it is a chunky yarn and knits up quickly!

My daughter did a bit more stitching this week.  


Finn had a friend over to play today.  He was not so sure about having to share my daughter with another dog!  My daughter looked after Brick while his "Mom" was moving. 


Late Breaking News!!! Dubrovnik is done!  While Finn was napping, worn out from his company, 
my daughter put in the last few stitches!  


I will link up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers at Kathy's blog in the morning.  I hope to start knitting my hat, again!

12 comments:

  1. the cross stitch is so pretty as are all of your quilting items - love the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects look great I live the black, red and grey in your new snowflake quilt. Your daughter cross stitches beautifully. Awesome patterns have got a sale on certain patterns until 2nd November but I don't think there were many cityscapes in the sale? I love that hat yarn! Not sure Finn is impressed by his company though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful baby quilt, and great idea for the insulbrite challenge.
    Look at Finn... He was not happy sharing his bed with Brick. LOL
    Dubrovnik cross stitch is very pretty and you daughter made a great work on it. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hot pad is just great! I use my 9 x 13 alot too and always have 2 potholders under it. What a great idea and I like the denims.
    Your finished quilt is great for a baby gift.
    FInn is so cute! good luck on your pretty hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good girl on finishing UFOs. Isn’t it fun to start something new. Sorry about having a hat redo. That’s something that would happen to me. Four DPNs look a little scary. Pretty yarn. Poor Finn had to experience something similar to sibling rivalry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the finish of your UFOS. Love that yarn in your hat. I like the fabric on your orange casserole hot pad! Lovely finish for your daughter too! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dubrovnik is beautiful. I like that lasagna pan hot pad. What a great idea! That yarn is so fun and colorful. I hope you can size that had correctly next time. I love that buffalo plaid quilt. I am partial to buffalo plaid. Finn is adorable as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you've been busy - working down the UFO pile is always so satisfying. I can relate to the hat issue - with yarn that bulky, even one too many (or few) stitches can make a cm difference! Better luck with the re-do. Tell your daughter 'well done' on her cityscape cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so fun to see all you've been working on this week! The challenge piece is so perfect for your orange pan, and the backing is a fun surprise. The charm square quilt is cute, too. Nice finish! You definitely do deserve a new start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like your Down on the Farm quilt, and rather like the way you have done the machine quilting lines. Finn and his friend don't look like they are at the "best buddies" stage just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great challenge ... I'll have to remember that for our guild's next challenge! Your offering was awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How disappointing that the hat was so big. Your lasagna hot pad was a great idea and used up bits to boot! Great job!

    ReplyDelete