Saturday, November 6, 2021

Modern Snowflake and some Knitting

 The Modern Snowflake quilt is growing!  I made 10 more blocks but only have a picture of the first 8--all sewn together.  The next four blocks are made, but not added to the quilt yet. Part of the snowflake is starting to appear!  The buffalo plaid is looking good too.  I'm hoping to finish this top in the next week or so--I have purchased some red flannel snowflake fabric for the backing.  I love a cozy quilt with a flannel back!

 I also managed to re-knit the hat I started last week and had to rip out due to sizing issues.  Fewer stitches on the needles did the trick and it fits fine this time round.  I may add a pompom... I think it can be worn with the lower edge turned up or just left down for a slouchy look. 



We had our first snow this week--just a few flakes.  While out on my morning walk, I took a few pictures.  The ice in the puddle may inspire a quilt some day!





My husband and I put away all of the patio furniture and emptied the flower pots this week.  He took down the wasp nest that had been in our tree all summer.  The wasps had moved out when the weather got cooler.  I hope they find somewhere else to make their home next summer!  The scientist in me had to open up the nest to see how they had made it.  More quilt inspiration inside!


There were four layers of this structure inside. 



The outside layer was paper thin and the whole nest was very lightweight.  Amazing engineering. 


Finn is his usual happy self this week. 


I will be working on getting this Libs Elliott "Weight of Love" quilt top quilted and bound this month for my UFO challenge.  I have some backing in my stash and will get it pin basted in the next week.  I took this class with Libs exactly two years ago this week.  It is time to get this one out of the UFO pile!


This weekend, I am going on a quilt retreat.  Everyone is double vaccinated and the tables will be spaced far apart.  I have several projects packed, ready to go.  I'm looking forward to a productive weekend.  For my birthday, just before the pandemic started, my husband gave me a rolling cart to use for my sewing machine and supplies when I go on a retreat--this will be my first opportunity to use it!  

I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday stitchers on Sunday morning. 


13 comments:

  1. the wasp nest are always so interesting to look at when they are safe to take them down and examine. and you have frozen ice already - wow we will be lucky to have a good freeze spell to kill all the bugs by January maybe and even then they just don't all get killed it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your weekend retreat. Stay safe. Hubby and I will be covering our furniture and emptying our pots tomorrow. I love that snowflake quilt. I love the Finn picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wasp nest is very very cool. I hope you have a lovely weekend sewing up a storm with your friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to go on a quilt retreat, have a fabulous time! I really like the colours in your new snow flakes quilt. The inside of the wasp nest is fascinating, the colour is interesting too, I'm sure you will get some inspiration there also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice for you to be able to attend a quilt retreat. Looks like you have some great projects as always, and Finn is his usual handsome self! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing the snowflake start to emerge as you put those plaid blocks together! Such a neat design! That wasp nest is pretty fascinating, too. Too bad the wasps are so scary themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always marvel at the complexities of nature. As you say the engineering is brilliant. Yes, most definitely a couple of quilts designed and fashioned in your inimitable and clever styl,e with the pattern of a wasp nest and ice patterns. The fabulous things one sees on a walk. Loving your Modern Snowflake quilt! As always, your choice of fabrics and colours is inspiring. Looking forward to more of the snowflake being revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I love a good UFO challenge ... get that hexi project finished! Enjoy retreat ... make the most of it! Your Modern Snowflake is going to be such fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your pictures but what made me happiest is that you are going on retreat!!!! Long overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too enjoyed seeing your photos. We have taken apart several wasps nests and marveled at the amazing work. Yes, we have had freezing most mornings lately so chilly now. Very cute knitted hat and your giant snowflake will be wonderful. Have fun at the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nature is wonderful, all the details are ​just perfect.
    ​Love the colorfull yarn you chose for the hat. Hope you had fun and enjoyed the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Modern snowflake looks really neat.
    Love your hat. I'm thinking about making a couple of hats for Christmas gifts.
    Wow snow already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did you get the snowflake quilt pattern and what is it called?

    ReplyDelete