Saturday, August 20, 2022

Working on the Sky

Earlier this week, my husband and I went glamping for three days--this means we stayed in a fancy tent on a platform with furniture (including a king sized bed) and a bathroom, a deck out front and a barbecue to cook our meals.  The property was lovely and had lots of trails for walking as well as a pond with a paddle boat, a canoe and a row boat.  The deck in front of our tent was in the shade most of the time so it was a great place to sit and read a book (I managed to finish The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams for book club in September--excellent book--I highly recommend it!), knit and do some rug hooking.  I made great progress on the rug hooking, finishing all of the green grass and adding lots of blue loops in the sky. The second and third pictures show the view from the deck. 





I worked on my knitting in the car--a few more rows. 


A week ago this past Friday, the Elgin Piecemakers had a comfort quilt sewing day.  A large amount of batik fabrics had been donated to our guild and two of our members organized a mystery quilt sewing day which we worked on in pairs.  We were given a pile of fabrics for our quilt, including enough for the blocks, backing and binding. Every so often throughout the day, we were given instructions for the various blocks.  My partner was Yvonne.  We managed to keep up with all the steps and had all the blocks done and the first section of the quilt sewn together before we left at the end of the day. These quilts will be given to refugee families who have recently arrived our area.  Here are the blocks we made, starting with four patches. 



Stars:


Flying Geese:


HST's:


And houses:


The quilt is made up of seven sections and here is our first section. You can see that we had to add some strip sections and a solid block to this section. 


Yvonne and I will get together soon to get the rest of the quilt together. 

Today, I got out my orange scraps and pieced them together for my Drunkard's Path blocks.  I will cut out and add the white parts this coming week. Lots of memories in many of these little bits of fabric. 


We saw this tree stump with lots of interesting fungus on it when we were glamping. 


We had perfect timing to catch this shot of the sun coming through the trees on one of our hikes. 



So fun to get a good clear picture of fluff!


Finn found it a bit hot on his walk home from the pet store with our daughter today.  Nothing like a shady patch of grass as a good place to cool down and take a rest. 



I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning and with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge folks now. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh I would have loved to see photos of your glamping site! even a bathroom! that is one thing I despise about tent camping is the need to walk to a bathroom - especially in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful vacation! Even if only for 3 nights, it sounds great and I loved what I could see in the pictures. Must be nice to have a hubby that enjoys nature walks with you. Your little wool sheep is really coming along nicely too. Any plans for it when finished?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice place to relax and walk enjoying the nature. The wool sheep is prittier each new week. You and Yvonne are making a beautiful quilt for donation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally intrigued by rug hooking... I love your project!
    And I adore the mystery day that your guild hosted for the members to make use of the donate fabric! Such a fabulous idea! And you will be creating such interesting quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The view from you glamping deck is beautiful. You made good progress on your rug hooking. You and Yvonne were quite productive with that comfort quilt. I like how all the batiks look together. I really like your orange drunkard's path piecing. You have quite a variety of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're glamping spot looks lovely! Your sheep is so nice. Those donated batiks are gorgeous, this quilt is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your glamping site looks wonderful. Nice progress you are making on your sheep. I love your orange drunkard's path. I don't think I would have that many oranges. Finn looks comfortable. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great discovery of the fungus. Love all your quit blocks. Great progress

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a perfect vacation! Very beautiful photos you share of the view. So many beautiful projects you have. Cute sheep and beautiful scrap blocks. Such an exciting mystery quilt you have in your guild. Nice blocks and a fantastic project you and Yvonne are making for the refugees. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment is from me. Birthe from «Birthes rom»

      Delete
  10. What a fun idea a Mystery Sewing Day is! Sounds productive, too. Love the orange blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your glamping sounds fun, and what a beautiful view for some stitching, too! Your mystery quilt is such pretty colors, and such a great cause to be making it for. I agree with Finn - that nice green grass looks perfect for a cool-down after a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How posh "glamping" sounds, and what a wonderful view!

    ReplyDelete