Saturday, January 28, 2023

A Little of This and A Little of That

Regular readers of my blog may remember that I took an introductory class in rug hooking last summer.  The hooking has all been done for a while and I finally finished off my project last weekend.  A friend who describes herself as a "hooker" and "addicted to fibre" showed me how to do the outer edge of my sheep project.  I hope to hang this little rug on the wall in my sewing room.  I would be quite willing to try another rug hooking project. 


For the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, this week I used up some tiny scraps to make these four 6.5" square slabs.  I am not sure how they will go into an actual quilt yet, but each month I will make some in the colour of the month and will decide later what to do with them. 


Speaking of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I completed one of my 2022 tops --the scrappy Drunkard's Path blocks are now put together.  This top is now in the "to be quilted" pile. 


I finished appliquéing the last house's window and door for my Coming Home Quilt this week.  Next up are lot of leaves (80 of them!), some vines and four birds.  I have lots of cutting out to do before this next step!


Finn would like you to know that my daughter has started another counted cross stitch city.  She did not tell me what city it is so your guess is as good as mine. 


Finn also wants you to know that the snow where he lives is deeper than him!


We have a bit of snow here finally--it has been a mostly snow free winter until this past week.  It looks pretty on the tree branches in the park where I walk each day. 




I pin basted and started quilting a wedding gift this week. The top was made at a retreat in November and I've got a deadline of two weeks to have this quilted and bound so I can give it to the newlyweds. I'm using 28 wt thread for the quilting. I like how the turquoise contrasts with the gray background fabric.  The lines are about an inch apart.  I have a different quilting plan for the turquoise part of the quilt.  Stay tuned. 


I made some more comfort quilt blocks for the Elgin Piecemakers Guild this week. I have them all done (except for two--waiting for the instructions) for the year. 
Navy, lime green and white:


Nautical theme using the colours in the sail fabric. 


Gray, yellow and white:


 I feel like I got a lot done this past week.  Let's hope that this coming week is just as productive!  I will link up the the Slow Sunday Stitchers and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge folks in the morning. 

8 comments:

  1. Cute rug hooking and very well finished. Love your rainbow quilt and the blue slabs are great. Finn looks very proud of your daugther cross stitch project. Oh My! there is a lot of snow outside, too cold for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did get a lot done, Gail! The little sheep rug project is adorable and looks like it was fun to do. I love your dark blue scrap slabs, too - those are a fun kind of sewing to do. The Drunkard's Path quilt top is beautiful! Pretty snow photos - hope Finn doesn't get lost in a snowdrift! Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried rug hooking,the little sheep is adorable! when it comes to blocks I have to just make them & move to keep from over thinking it lol they all blend in the end ,you've been busy with lots of great finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always seem to get a ton of things done. Love the sheep project. Hard to believe the snow is that deep for someone living in Northern California. We rarely see any snow where I live, but the weather recently has gotten into the freezing range at night. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is always such lovely quilty beauty to see at your place, Gail! Those blue square slabs are pretty and your scrappy Drunkard's Path looks a treat. Cute, cute, cute little hooked sheep. You did a fabulous job with it. Oh my, all that snow.....pretty but oh, so cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your little sheep rug. You did a great job! Your RSC slabs will have a lot of potential. Look how great the Drunkard's Path turned out! Give that Finn a pat on the head from me! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little sheep is just adorable! As is Finn helping model your daughters cross stitch ( no idea yet which city, I will need more clues) and lots of beautiful projects on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your sheep rug. I would guess New York or London for your daughter's cross-stitch. Your daughter has a lot of snow. We have had absolutely none. I'm sad as I like to see some snow on the ground at least once each Winter. I really like all of your quilty projects.

    ReplyDelete