Saturday, January 14, 2023

Finding my Rotary Cutter

 The condition of my sewing room has deteriorated over the last month or so to the point where I could not find my rotary cutter... it was time for a clean up.  I spent over an hour putting things away, folding fabric, sorting through piles, etc. and still no rotary cutter.  I tried to think of the last time I used it...then, I remembered I used it at a recent guild sewing day---it was in the bag I took to the sewing day.  Oh well, the sewing room is looking much better and I had a new project planned!  I gathered up my supplies and got started. 


My MIL lives in a long term care home. She loves to have her room decorated for each season so I decided to make her a small wall hanging for Valentine's Day.  I got out my red 2.5" squares and some other red scraps as well as some white solid for the background.  It did not take long to get the top together, pin basted and machine quilted. 


I will finish hand sewing the binding and hanging sleeve tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching. 


I finished knitting the pink dish cloth this week.  I ran out of yarn before I ran out of pattern, so I just made the top border much narrower than the bottom one.  By the time I wove the ends in, I had one inch of yarn to spare.  If I use this pattern again, I will have to use smaller needles. The resulting cloth is still quite usable, even if it isn't square!


As I mentioned earlier, Christine and I went to the guild sewing day with the Oxford Guild this past week. I brought along my "Coming Home" BOM quilt which I started in January 2019.  This will be my project of choice for upcoming sewing days so I can see if I can get it to the finish line.  I spent the day adding more doors and windows to this house border. Some of my doors and windows are a bit wonky but I don't mind this a bit--it gives my fabric neighbourhood some personality and charm. 









Here is a picture of what I have done so far...I am working on the fourth street which goes on the bottom.  The blue house with the pink doors and windows above is part of the fourth side. 


My husband's sister and her family gave us a mushroom growing kit for Christmas.  It has been interesting watching the mushrooms appear out of this brown blob on our kitchen counter.   We harvested four mushrooms today and added them to the sauce on our spaghetti and meatballs tonight.  Delicious!


Finn is back to running around in the snow and sticking his face in.  We are so glad to see him back to his usual self. 


Here are a few more of the circle pouches I made as Christmas gifts. 


Last week, someone asked me about my book with the Christmas ornament patterns in it.  Here is a picture of the book, published in 1991 by Carol Siegel and the Dimensions Design Studio.  This book includes the Bethlehem and cabin ornaments I showed last week.  The other patterns were from a very old crafting magazine.  


I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 

12 comments:

  1. Finn is so cute!! yes it is hard to find what you need at times sometimes I don't find the item so I buy another and then find the lost!! So nice to make the wall hanging for the MIL sweet of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, your Coming Home quilt is looking fabulous. Love your neighbourhood border; wonderful fabrics you are using. Your MIL's heart wall hanging is so lovely. Such a lovely Valentine's addition to her room. The brown blob of mushrooms is a work of art. As for Finn; wonderful he is back to his old self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house quilt has so much detail! You can't see the windows aren't perfect. The little heart quilt is so cute and sweet, your MIL will be very pleased you made it for her. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you keep working on the borders for that colorful quilt. I really like that heart wall hanging. I have many old cross-stitch magazines also that I keep to find ornaments to make. Finn looks like he is having fun in the snow. I am so glad he is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love that quilt! Gorgeous! The heart wall hanging will add a lot of cheer to your Mom's room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finn really is hilarious! I love your quilt, it is such fun and wonky windows gives each house personality. Much like lots of villages in the UK! Your valentines wall hanging will certainly cheer your MiLs room up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I had to laugh over the missing rotary cutter. It drives me crazy when I can't find my stuff. Turns me into a mad woman! Haha! Glad you found it! Happy to hear Finn is back to normal. Such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been a busy lady. Finn is a sweetheart with his snowy nose! I find it is almost nice to have the holiday season over so we can get back to sewing for our pleasure with no deadlines and it is a good start by cleaning up the sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finn is hilarious! I love your Coming Home blocks. What a sweet quilt you made your mother-in-law! My sewing room was such a mess at Christmas when my brother was here he called it a "junk room". I have straightened it up quite a bit since then. It is really my sewing room but there isn't much room behind my machine to sew anything big. I prefer using the kitchen with the big table and better light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt Coming Home is growing well. All those appiqué windows and doors are amazing.The hear wall hanging is a winner. Glad to know Finn is back to his normal life, he is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm pleased you found your rotary cutter, certainly a much needed item for quilters. That's a pretty little Valentines Day walĺhanging you have made for your MIL. Hello Finn, so pleased he is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom lives in assisted living also, and loves the little quilted things I make her. Your heart wall-hanging is so pretty - I'm sure MIL will love it! Fun to see your Coming Home project coming along, too. I'm glad Finn is so much better!

    ReplyDelete