Saturday, June 29, 2024

Hand Stitching and a Secret Project

Another busy week! I continue to do some hand quilting on my Put a Ring on It quilt most days. I have developed a callus on my left pointer finger... the mark of a hand quilter.  I think I am a little over half finished with hand quilting this wall hanging. 


I cut all the pieces for a secret project this week.  It seems to take me longer to pick the fabrics than it does to actually sew the quilt.  I seem to hum and haw over my choices for days on end, adding and subtracting fabrics, taking pictures, thinking about it and finally deciding to go ahead and start! I sewed several units together today...still more to do.  


I'm not sure why Finn is giving my daughter the side eye in this picture...obviously she does not give him enough attention!  LOL. 


It was quite humid for this week's hike with the local hiking club.  The milkweed plants were all in bloom.  This is a close-up of the flowers--so pretty!  


This is an Ebony Jewelwing.  I have never seen one of these before!


This is not Queen Anne's lace...it is called Ground Elder and is in the carrot family. 


My friend Pat completed the first of the PJ quilts --this one is for her grand-daughter who is heading off to university in the fall.  This was quilted by a local long armer with a snowflake pantograph as most of the fabrics on the front are winter themed.  The back is pieced from leftover fabrics from mostly pink and purple flannel pj's.  Pat's granddaughter was thrilled with her quilt and had fun looking at all the fabrics and remembering all the pyjamas that Pat had made for her over the years. 



I've spent lots of time outside this past week--weeding, deadheading and inspecting the plants/trees.  Our tomato plants are in bloom.  My friend grew these from seed and gave me a couple of plants.  They are in pots on our patio. 


Our prickly pear cactus bloomed this week. 


Our orange echinacea (cone flower) is just starting to bloom too. 


This is a miniature rose that was given to me by my mother in law in 2001 after I had some surgery.  It blooms every year in the garden. 


The purple cone flowers are putting on a show as well. 


I finished off the pink lupin this week and I'm working on the green at the bottom.  I like to work on this in the car...it's my portable project. The amount of time in the car each week determines how much gets done! I had to correct a few dark green stitches...they were in the wrong spot. 


I will link up with Kathy and Frederique in the morning. 

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful quilt of PJs that is. Great idea. And I love your colors in Ring. I agree, I spend more time finding the perfect blend of fabrics! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those flower photos are fantastic. How in the world did you get a photo of that Ebony Jewelwing. Beautiful. I like that pretty quilt you friend made. I am sure her granddaughter will treasure it. Lupines looks like it is almost done. It is such a pain when we miscount. I am looking forward to seeing the secret project when it is completed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your work on the hand quilting project up close, Gail - beautiful stitches and such interesting fabrics! Looks like you had an enjoyable hike with the group this week, too. Lots of neat photos. I'm impressed that you can cross-stitch in the car - I'm not sure I could keep track of where I was! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we get both the Queen Ann's Lace and the other one that looks so much like it - love that look Finn is giving

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful pyjama quilt!
    Your glorious flower photos are prizewinners my friend!
    You need to enter them in the Paris Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hand stitching on Put a Ring on It is coming along nicely. Thanks for posting mildweek blooming as I've not seen that. Finn is keeping a good eye on your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of an Ebony Jewelwing, it is beautiful. Love all the pretty flower pictures and Finn never fails to bring a smile. That PJ quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got tickled when I saw Finn. She is a hoot and I bet keeps y'all entertained constantly. Wow great photo of the dragonfly! We have seen one with a turquoise color at our creek but have yet to capture a good photo. Your Put A Ring on It is looking amazing. I just noticed the little ladybugs on the fabric- Cute!

    ReplyDelete