Saturday, July 20, 2024

A Busy Week

Ta Da!  My Put a Ring On It is done!  I took this class during QuiltCon Together in February 2021 with Latifah Saffir, using her clammy rulers.  I had the top done reasonable quickly but could not decide how I wanted to quilt it.  This quilt kept telling me to hand quilt it, which I ignored until this Spring.  By then, it was screaming to be hand quilted so I got to work.  I used 28 wt Aurifil thread in green for the big stitch quilting.  I'm really happy with this project! I will be hanging it on the wall in my front entrance.  




I started machine quilting this flannel vortex baby quilt this week. Please ignore any wobbles you see in the quilting!  I am doing this one with my DSM walking foot. 


It seemed I had something major on every day this week so very little cross stitching got done--just a bit more outlining.  I hope to make more progress this coming week. 


There were lots of visitors in my garden this week. The swallowtail butterfly flew away before I got its picture. Look at all that pollen this bee has collected!


I'm not sure why this blue butterfly is called a White Admiral.  We also had Red Admiral butterflies in the garden this week. 



This is Finn before his haircut...


And after--so nice to see his eyes!  He'll be cooler now with all of the hot weather we have been having. 


My daughter finished her first crocheted Wooble--a gingerbread man. 


Her next one will be an elf.  


The mystery cross stitch project has had more stitches added this week. 


The hospice quilt top made with potato chip blocks is all together.  I will be adding a light coloured border and then will take it to the long armer for quilting. The backing fabric is not quite wide enough so I will be adding a strip of a contrasting fabric to make it big enough. 


Christine and I spent a day in Toronto this week and went to the Royal Ontario Museum to see their display of Canadian Antique Quilts.  This one was my favourite.  There are over 8000 tiny HST's in this quilt.  I wonder how long it took to make?  The quilts are on display until November this year. If you are going to be in Toronto, they are certainly worth seeing!




Unfortunately, no one knows who made this quilt.  Label your quilts so when they are in a museum someday, it won't say maker unknown!

I will link up with Kathy and Frederique. 

7 comments:

  1. Gail, how beautiful is your finished quilt, and yes, so glad you listened to it wanting to be hand quilted. The black and white fabrics together with the green are a perfect match. The hospice quilt is lovely, too. I cannot quite believe all the hst's in the museum quilt. Incredible that someone stitched all these together resulting in a fabulous quilt. Doesn't Finn look handsome with his haircut?? I'm a wee bit envious of your pretty flowers in the garden with the tiny critters. The blue butterfly is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put a Ring on It is a beautiful quilt! I love that shade of green with the black,and white prints. Hooray for a finish! I loved seeing your other projects, too - the potato chip blocks make a great design with that fun sashing. Isn't the Wooble adorable?! It looks like a fun project, too. Have a wonderful Sunday, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoop whoop, what a beautiful finish! I also love the strippy binding, this is such a joyful little quilt. Love your daughter's amigurumis too, so cute! Thank you for sharing your pretty quilts, cute Finn, and beautiful bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Put a Ring On It. I am so glad you finally hand quilted it. It is so pretty. Your lupines are coming to life. Sometimes backstitching is slow work. Finn looks great with his summer cut. I wonder if I could take a trip to Toronto. I would love to see those quilts. Over 8000 HST! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put a Ring on it is a gorgeous finish! Great work! Love Finn's new cut, I love to see his expressive eyes. That 8000 HSQ would still be in my closet waiting to finish. What a project. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Put a Ring on It is stunning, Gail! Congratulations on this beautiful finish. It has been such a joy to follow your progress to completion on this quilt. Finn's hair cut looks great- aaah those sweet eyes. Your daughter did an amazing job on her Wobble. I look forward to seeing the elf. Have a fabulous week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your hand quilted finish, so pleased you have the perfect spot to hang it. Wow, that antique quilt is amazing, so many tiny pieces.

    ReplyDelete