Saturday, August 17, 2024

Barn Quilt Class

Today, Christine and I attended a Barn Quilt Block class in Palmyra, Ontario at the Crazy 8 Barn.  I have wanted to make a Barn Quilt for our backyard for ages.  There were two blocks available to choose from and we each chose a different one.  The class started at 9am and we left for home around 5pm so it was an all day project.  



There were lots of paint colours to choose from and we all did some mixing as well to get just the right colours for our blocks. 




Here I am, hard at work, taping off the next section to be painted. I made myself this apron before I got married, over 35 years ago.  It worked well to keep the paint off my clothes. 


This picture was taken earlier in the process. 


Here is Christine painting her barn quilt. 


And here is Christine's finished Barn Quilt block. So pretty!  Sunflowers were the theme of the day!


Here are a few of the barn quilts in the gardens at the Crazy 8 Barn. 




I've never taken a class in such an interesting building!  



Finn and my daughter have been here this week.  My daughter has started to make herself a crocheted blanket.  The second picture shows Finn modelling the first row or two.  He says it is not doing much to keep him warm yet. 

Edited:  Oops!  My daughter informs me that I took a picture of the back of her crochet!  The first picture below is the front, and the second picture is the back. 






I have started yet another secret project in my sewing room so nothing to show there...  I finished off the tree on my cross stitch picture this week. On to the next motif this week!


Finn enjoyed some time in the backyard this week while our daughter was working from our basement. 



Our teacher gave each of us a quilt block mug at the end of the class.  My block is the Carpenter's Star. 



 I will link up with Frederique and Kathy.  Have a great week!

12 comments:

  1. Love your barn quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barn blocks are beautiful painted in a most appropriate building. Christmas tree looks great on bright blue background. Finn knows how to relax at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful project to do with a friend. It looks like a lot of fun! I love both of those barn blocks! Your cross-stitch and your daughter's crochet are very pretty. Finn looks pretty content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your barn quilt, and the others. Finn looks happy relaxing at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a really fun day, and you both have gorgeous finished projects, too! Was the design drawn on your board for you? We would like to make a barn quilt for our backyard, too, but that seems like the hardest part - getting the design drawn on correctly. Bith Finn and your stitched Christmas tree are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She gave us a piece of paper with the design on it and we had to draw the grid and design on the board ourselves before taping and painting.

      Delete
  6. love the barn quilts and the coffee mug. I know of a place that has groups to paint barn quilts I might just have to do it one day

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun barn quilt class, did you get to choose from the tutors designs? Or have to come up with your own idea? I dont think I could be trusted with paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular class offered the two patterns that I showed—I did one and Christine did the second one. She also offers a class where you design your own block. I would like to do that next time.

      Delete
  8. Oh, what a beautiful barn quilt! Well, both are pretty, yours and Christine's ;) Are you going to hang it outside? So, is it protected by a coat of varnish? Cute Finn photos, as always ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the paint cures for two weeks, I will apply a clear coat varnish on the front, back and sides. Then, it can go outside. I will put it on our garden shed in the spring.

      Delete
  9. That looks like a fun place to take a class. You selected a nice pattern for your barn star, I hope you share it in it's permanent location.

    ReplyDelete