Friday, September 20, 2024

Secret Project Reveal!

For a few months now, I have been talking about a secret project. My cousin has finally received her quilt and so now I can show it to you, my blog readers!  I did some sleuthing to find out my cousin's favourite colours and was told green and purple. I raided my stash to find several purples and greens that looked good together as well as a piece of gray hash dot fabric leftover from my modern sampler quilt.  I had just enough of the gray fabric and even had to piece a few of the triangles to have enough for all of the units.   For those who are interested, I use my Easy Angle ruler for the purple HST's and my quarter square ruler for the green and gray QST's.


Here are all the units on the design wall, partially sewn together. 


I pin basted the quilt at one of our guild sewing days where there was a large table to use -- It's hard not the knees to use the floor. You can see I mitred the corners of the border to match the HST angles.  I put green borders on the sides that touch purple in the units and purple borders where they touch gray or green. 



I quilted this one myself with my walking foot.  The thread is green going on one diagonal and purple on the other diagonal. I used my Hera marker to keep the lines straight in the borders. 



All quilted!  I used a solid lighter purple fabric for the binding.  


The backing fabric was in my stash!  I had to add racing stripes on the back of the quilt to make it wide enough. Funny story.  First I added a green stripe.  When I measured the back against the quilt top, it still wasn't wide enough so I cut down the middle of the green stripe and added the purple.  Success!  The only fabric I purchased for this quilt was the green border fabric. 



My cousin lives across the country and her mother visited our area recently so the quilt was delivered by my aunt yesterday. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the finished quilt before giving it...  I will get my cousin to take a picture and send it to me. 

Since there can't be a blogpost without a picture or two of Finn...  Here he is with my daughter's crochet blanket that she is making.  It's almost big enough to cover Finn now--still lots more to do. 


Finn had a haircut yesterday and the groomer gave him a fall bandana.  Looking very handsome, Finn!


Fall will soon be here. 


Here is my cousin, all wrapped up in her quilt.  She loves it!


 I will link up with Kathy and Frederique on the weekend. 

3 comments:

  1. that is such a pretty quilt and i can see it is loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very pretty quilt. Good job on stash-busting! What a happy recipient -- I'm sure it's very special to her. Hand-made by her cousin. Heart-warming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful quilt, Gail! I love those colors together, and the borders are really neat. It looks like your cousin is very happy with her gift! Finn is looking very dapper in his fall finery, too!

    ReplyDelete