Saturday, October 19, 2024

Getting Back to Normal


I have been reacquainting myself with my sewing machine over the past few days.  I decided to get going on quilting the potato chip quilt top I made for our new hospice (opening in the Spring of 2025).  First I quilted two lines in the sashing to get everything stabilized and ready for quilting the blocks. I also added a row of stitching around the entire quilt the width of the walking foot into the beige border and then a 1/8th of an inch from the edge of the border to keep it flat.  I hummed and hawed over what colour of thread to use and finally decided on a beige thread on top and a light blue in the bobbin.  The backing fabric is blue. The picture below shows how each block will look when all of the edge to edge straight line quilting is done.  The second picture is of the back of the same block.



I spent a bit of time each day this week adding some stitches to my cross stitch picture. The bear needs four more stitches in his cheek and there are a few snowflakes to add in the air.  I have added more stitches to the border at the bottom too. 



You may remember that I am making a dozen placemats for Meals on Wheels--an outreach project of the Oxford Quilt Guild.  I had 6 done before my vacation and managed to finish two more this week as well as get another two to the stage of hand stitching the binding. Only a couple more to make to meet my goal!



Finn sent me a couple of pictures today of my daughter's crochet progress...three more "fried egg" (I mean daisy...) granny squares and more rows on her cream coloured blanket. 



I sorted through some of our vacation pictures this week.  The first few are from Antelope Canyon near Page, Arizona.  We did a guided tour of this beautiful slot canyon. Amazing what flowing water will do to sandstone. 






The next pictures were taken on our favourite hike of the trip... The Queens Garden/Navajo Loop/Wall Street combination hike in Bryce Canyon National Park. It was a really hot day but we dressed to protect ourselves from the sun, used sunscreen, wore hats, hiking boots, ate salty snacks and drank lots of water.  Our daughter gave us hiking poles for Christmas last year and they were used on all of our hikes. As you can see below, the scenery was breathtaking. There were lots of ups and downs on this hike.  We hiked up all of those switchbacks in the first picture at the end of the hike. 





We met a little friend when we stopped for a drink and a snack. (we did not share our snacks!)





I'm not sure how this tree is even alive!



Yes, that is the trail down there!



We hiked earlier in the day and we were back to our car in time for the picnic lunch that we had in the cooler bag. We slept well that night (and every night!). 

That's enough vacation pictures for this week.  I will share more next week.  In the meantime, I will link up with Kathy and Frederique.  

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic holiday photos! Nature is amazing. The pictures last week of the quilts shows how close and realistic the colours are. Nice quilting btw. Sarah quiltingbythesea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilting, and pretty progress on your stitched bear. It looks cute. Well done with the placemats too, I love the purple one! Fabulous photos of Antelope and Bryce Canyon, I have fond memories of our walks a few years ago. It looks like you had a lot of fun! Thank you for sharing, and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photos of Antelope Canyon. Could give ideas for quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting back to one’s normal routine after a nice vacation always feels good. Photos of slot canyon are amazing. A guided hike was smart. Love Bryce Canyon. Visited once, however, due to a sprained ankle there was no hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you are quilting the potato chip quilt. Somehow, I have never thought to use different color threads for top and bottom. Hmmm. Your photos of that canyon are gorgeous. It is hard to believe that they aren't computer generated. I have yet to visit this part of Arizona. I am not sure my husband and I could manage that intense hiking. There are no hills where I live so all of our walking is on flat land/streets. Finn looks so warm and cozy with all that pretty crochet around him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we took that same trail - The Queens Garden/Navajo Loop/Wall Street - and loved it. We did the trail back in 2018 or so and it was challenging but so worth it. Lovely photos of the slot canyons they are so beautiful. Would love to go back one day but doubt we would be able to do the same trails anymore we are not physically fit enough now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such amazing scenery - thank you for sharing! I love the red rock canyons of the southwest. Your sewing is fun to see, too! Looks like the donation quilt and the placemats are going well. That bear is delightful - such a great design! Enjoy your stitching today, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your vacation photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You went to some beautiful country. The slot canyon pictures are amazing. And the Bryce pictures are so contentedly spectacular. I'm glad you got to go see some of earth's great wonders.

    ReplyDelete