Saturday, January 10, 2009

Machine Quilting Workshop

Today, Jill (aka The Quilt Rat), did a workshop for 20 members of our Quilt Guild on machine quilting. I was at the church shortly after 9 am and set up my friend's sewing machine--My machine does not have a switch to put the feed-dogs down so I borrowed hers. I had to make a quick run to a local sewing machine repair shop to purchase a darning foot for her machine as she did not have one.
At the end of the day, I returned the sewing machine and gave her the foot as a thank you gift for letting me use her machine.

Here are a few pictures of Jill demonstrating her machine quilting for us.
She showed us how to meander and stipple as well as this bubble pattern:
I was not very good at meandering but I did not do too badly at the bubbles. I still need to practice (a lot!!). I had not done any free motion machine quilting before today.
She also showed us how to do feathers. Jill had experimented with variations on feathers to show us in her samples that she made before the workshop.Again, I will have to do a lot of practicing before I get good enough to use free motion quilting on a "real" quilt.

As payment for taking the workshop, each participant was given a kids charity quilt to machine quilt. Our guild makes quilts for the local Family and Childrens services for children who are in foster care in London. I have ordered a couple of new pieces for my machine to try to machine quilt on it.

Thanks Jill, for an interesting workshop!

1 comment:

  1. I was happy to have the opportunity to share what I have learned and am learning,(there is much to learn)
    So glad you were able to join us. Thanks for all the great photos!

    ReplyDelete