Saturday, February 5, 2011

Arc Support Retreat at Jacqui's

Earlier this week, Christine and I got together one evening to work on arcs for our Indian Orange Peel Quilts. I started working on 10 more arcs and Christine got started on a few as well.



Last night, 7 of us got together to work on arcs at Jacqui's house. We sewed and sewed and then stopped for a delicious supper of pad thai, salad and dessert. After supper, I finished off the 10 arcs that I started earlier in the week and started 12 more before heading home for bed.



I got up early this morning to make some "Bananaberry Bombs"--Banana Blueberry muffins (The recipe is from Looneyspoons by Janet and Greta Podleski) so that I could take them to Jacqui's when they were still warm. We were well fed all day again--muffins, fruit, tea and coffee for morning snack; homemade turkey soup, fresh bread and buns, fruit and vegies and some sweet stuff for lunch and then cheese and crackers, more fruit, tea and coffee as well as leftover desserts in the afternoon.

Lots of sewing and chatting took place all day as the 8 of us sewed and ironed and trimmed our arcs. Everyone's arcs are a bit different depending on colour and fabric choices. It will be fun to see how all of the quilts turn out!

I finished off the 12 arcs that I started the night before for a total of 22 completed arcs.


I started another batch of 15 arcs which I will try to finish this week. I have 80 arcs completely done. I am well on my way to finishing off the 120 I need to have done before mid March for the second workshop. At this workshop, we will learn how to do the curved piecing to put our blocks together and how to lay out our blocks for the best visual effect. We will also get started on paper piecing the units for the border. This is a very labour intensive quilt but it is nice to know that we are there to support and encourage each other as we work on this project!

Here is a bag of my trimmings from doing my arcs. I have a project in mind for these.


I will try to finish off my other arcs later this week. I am hoping to have them done shortly so that I can do some other projects before the 2nd class for this quilt in mid-March.

4 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that you have such a great support group. I am looking forward to seeing what your finished quilts look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your arcs are amazingly well done, but to have the support of an entire meeting of ladies is the best! I'd love to see yours, and the others, too. :-}pokey
    ps, save me a muffin *vbs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is alot of arcs...it is good that you have each other to encourage because I think if it were myself, I would have fallen by the wayside by now. This is going to be an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...you have done so well! The arcs are terrific! Can't wait to see what you have in mind for the scraps...I have been keeping mine as I just can't part with them!
    Sounds like a fabulous weekend...I was so sad to miss out on that :(

    ReplyDelete