Friday, March 9, 2012

Miniature Workshop Today!

I took a vacation day today so that I could go to a miniature workshop taught by Kathy W. of Kathy's Quilts fame. Kathy brought along many of her own mini quilts and taught us many different ways of making our own quilts.


We all started by making two colour 9 patches which Kathy put together to make a mini quilt which she will donate to our guild for the raffle table at our quilt show in the fall.


I brought along some HST's that I made from LW's garbage at our recent Quilt Til You Wilt day.


 I had sewn them into HST's already and spent much of the morning ironing, trimming and arranging these 1 1/4" HST's into two mini quilts:


I sewed the first one together before lunch. It finishes at about 6" square.


I hope LW will not want her garbage back!

The second one came home with me to finish here.

I spent much of the afternoon trying out Kathy's "Fishfood" quilt.  It is done with a mile-a-minute method.

This came home unfinished but I will try to finish it up soon so I can bring it to the next meeting for show and tell. You may recognize the scraps from my hexagon quilt. Kathy is all about using up scraps from projects to make mini quilts!

Two other quilters spent all day making tiny tulip blocks.  I don't know that I will ever try to make something this small!

I had a great day!  Thanks Kathy!

I have a few projects on deck for this weekend. I have to finish off the baskets I started earlier this week when Christine came over to sew. I have the next clue for the "Stars for my Friends" mystery quilt to work on and I would like to finish off my second and third mini quilts...  There are just not enough hours in the day!

Happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! I wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a day well spent! You've done well. I cannot imagine making those tulips!!!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a fun day! You have some great little quilts going! Looking forward to our next visit!

    ReplyDelete