Saturday, July 2, 2016

I'm Back with a Finish

I started making this wall-hanging months ago. I never imagined it would take so long to finish it!  There has not been much sewing time recently.  We are in the midst of some renovations at our house and much of my time was spent getting ready for the work to begin as well as getting the yard and gardens into shape for the summer.
 
I quilted the circles around the arcs using my walking foot--each line of quilting is the width of the foot apart from the next line of quilting.  I left the quilt laid out on my sewing table and went into the room to stare at it a few times a week to try to figure out what to do next.  How would I quilt the arcs?  the middle of the circles?  
 

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to do a diagonal cross hatch in the circles...the quilting needed to be as dense as the rest of the quilt.


Here is the first circle being quilted.


I spent much of the day on Canada Day in my sewing room. It was a great way to spend my day off!


After finishing the cross hatching, I stitched in the ditch between the coloured pieces in the arcs.



I love the texture of the quilting. 



I took these pictures outside as the sun was going down. The sun coming in on an angle really highlights the quilting.

 
Here is the entire quilt, held by my most capable quilt holder!
 


Today, I added the binding and did the hand stitching in the car when we went to visit my MIL. I will be linking up with Kathy tomorrow with the rest of the Slow Sunday Stitchers. 

I used my safety pin fabric on the back of the quilt.

All done and ready to hang once the renovations are done!

26 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, such gorgeous quilting. Well worth all the thinking 😀😀 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, it's fabulous! The circular quilting and the cross hatching are perfect! I see where the quilting lines overlap so precisely in each quadrant to form a little diamond. May I ask how you marked your circles? Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. It's a beautiful quilt with the colourful arcs and the quilting sets it off perfectly. I also spent much of Canada day in the sewing room...when I wasn't weeding in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing your quilt, I just fell in love with gray. Well done.
    Kathleen Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Gail. I love that kind of quilting too, but am always amazed at how long it takes...and most of it is waffling over what to do next LOL. But, when it's finished, it's awesome! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this wall hanging. Everything about it is spot on, colour, quilting, pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilting! How do you manage that with a walking foot? The one time I tried using a walking foot I was so frustrated with having to wrench and rotate the quilt constantly. Any advice you have would be most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail, this quilt is stunning. Your choices when you machine quilted it were perfect. Don't forget to put your label on the back. It's an heirloom and your great-great-great grandchildren are going to want to know about Grandma Gail and her quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilt is beautiful. I think your quilting complements it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love your wall hanging the fabrics in it and all the beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful quilt. You did a fantastic quilting job on it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Gail. What a great job by you on your new machine.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! You have done a brilliant job of the quilting - I love the choices you made: the circles and the cross hatching balance each other really well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Love the quilting decisions you made. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was raining here in Southern Ontario on Canada Day, so I did some EPP :) I really like your quilting choices, the texture is great and the overall quilt is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's very lovely--deceptively simple, but not at all easy I'm sure. The quilting really sets off the design. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the quilting is so perfect! I am in love with this design...its just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like rainbow drops in a pool of water!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Gail! It looks amazing! Fantastic job on the quilting... such great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your finish. There's nothing like being done ahead of the game. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow that is simply awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, beautiful. The pieced design is engaging, and the quilting makes great use of repetition and contrast. Do you ever wonder what a project would have turned out to be if you had followed a different timeline? It seems that this project came together at just the right pace!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy cow! LOVE how you quilted this. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete