Thursday, December 20, 2018

Two Trees

I must start off by saying I do not usually make the same quilt twice, but in this case, I made an exception.  You may recall a blogpost a few weeks ago about the London Friendship Guild sewing day at which I pieced this Bountiful Boughs wallhanging for myself.  I have taken two weeks off work for Christmas and I am spending much of my time in the sewing room, finishing off a few gifts and my Christmas tree wall hanging. 


I used a wavy stitch and my walking foot to quilt this project. The thread is a light green, about the colour of the binding. Here is an angled shot which shows off the nice texture from the quilting.



The backing is a fun Charlie Brown Christmas print that I bought several years ago in Elk Rapids, Michigan when I was at a Gwen Marston Beaver Island Quilt Retreat. It has been sitting on the shelf in my sewing project, waiting for just the right project to come along.


Watching the Peanuts Christmas special is a family tradition at our house.  My daughter even has her own Charlie Brown Christmas tree at her apartment.



Unknown to my friend, Christine, I cut out enough triangles for two Christmas tree wall hangings when she was here for our weekly sewing night in late November.  I had to piece her quilt on the sly and get it down off the design wall before she came for sewing night last week. It was folded up in a drawer when she arrived to sew.


We saw Christine and her husband this past weekend and I gave her the wallhanging.  She was very surprised, especially after I told her I had made two of them, one for her and one for me.  She hung it up in her front entrance as soon as she got home.


Christine's wall hanging has Christmas sock monkeys on the back.


There was enough sock monkey fabric left to make a special gift bag for Finn, the grand puppy, who is often described by my daughter as a monkey!



Here is the glamour shot of my Christmas Tree Wallhanging with my grandmother's treadle sewing machine in the foreground.


I am heading back to the sewing room now...three more gifts to make/finish!

I will link this post to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching this weekend because of all that hand stitching on the bindings of these two quilts. 

13 comments:

  1. I love the tree Wall hangings, I haven't seen this pattern before. And your quilting is perfect. Have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Hey, binding counts and is one of my favorite handwork projects to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tree wall hanging (the colours are perfect) and your friend must be thrilled! Love Finn's special gift bag too! Hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family. PS hope you get your Christmas gifts finished in time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Charlie Brown fabric and the Charlie Brown tree. What a great way to spend days off work -- in the sewing room. Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tree pattern and the quilting really adds to it. The sock monkey fabric is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tree wall-hangings are wonderful, and what a great surprise for your sewing friend! And the backings are fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun that you have twin tree quilts! Love the fun backings you chose!
    And fantastic quilting!
    Love the glamour shot!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful gift! It will bring fond memories each year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely trees! Wonderful surprise for your dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilting is perfect for this quilt. I love the backing fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "glamour shot" - you make me giggle!

    ReplyDelete