Saturday, March 16, 2019

Coming Home and Frank

After admiring several quilters' "Down The Rabbit Hole" quilts over the past year or so, I decided to sign up for this year's Sarah Fielke BOM project, "Coming Home".  For a long time now, I have wanted to make an appliqué project. I have taken several appliqué classes through the London Friendship Guild and have completed several small class projects in the process.  The fee includes the instructions for each step, paper templates which I print out myself each month and video instruction by Sarah each month.  Since Sarah lives in Australia, this is my best chance to take a class from her for now.  The quilt is not really a "Block" of the month, but is a medallion with new borders added each month.  


The first appliqué that I had to do was five circles for the centre block.  I picked out the green buildings fabric for the circles and then hummed and hawed over what to use for the backgrounds...  After a good night's sleep, I decided to use the fabric shown above.  I spent an hour or more happily appliquéing the circles yesterday afternoon as I listened to a podcast.


There are 8 little houses in the centre block and I decided to put interesting little fussy cuts in the windows and doors.  This first set of houses are magenta, not red as appears in the picture.




I purchased the roof fabric at QuiltCon in Nashville.  There are lots of houses in this quilt and I am thinking of using the same roof fabric on all of the houses...


You can see that the turquoise houses have little owls in the windows.  My centre block came together nicely and is exactly the right size!  WooHoo!




 The 2nd month's instructions were released at the end of February so I hope to get caught up before the end of March.  There is more appliqué on my horizon...

My daughter's Prague cityscape had some more stitches added this week while Finn had a nap.  


It snowed again(!) this week where Finn and my daughter live.  Finn likes to stick his face in the snow!


My Frank Lloyd Wright window continues to look more defined as I add more gold outlining stitches.   I am over half way finished the outlining now. 


You can see I needed to move the hoop this week.


Finn really enjoys his naps!


Today was National Quilting Day and I celebrated by spending the day with other members of the London Modern Quilt Guild at a sewing day.  I will do another post this week about my new project that I started this week and worked on today.   Stay tuned...

In the meantime, I will be linking up with my Slow Sunday Stitching friends over at Kathy's blog in the morning.  They all appreciate an encouraging comment!

7 comments:

  1. I love your new project! "Coming Home" So cute fabrics you have chosen and all the amazing details of windows and doors.
    Great embroidery too. Happy stitching and Happy National Quilting Day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coming home project is gorgeous. I love your fabric choices! Finn looks one happy dawg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your applique piece - it is one of the prettiest I have seen - I think it is the colors you have chosen - just really like them.
    Your daughters piece is so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely projects, your quilt is looking great. Love Finn's face covered with snow, so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love that medallion quilt you have just started. Such fun looking into the window's and seeing cute little ones. Finn sure does look happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen a few versions of Coming Home on blogs, and yours is another wonderful version with your fussy cut windows! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful projects. Your Coming Home is looking wonderful. Finn is very cute. Thank you for sharing on Slow Sunday Stitching ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete