Saturday, March 9, 2019

Slow Stitching and a Finish!


My Frank Lloyd Wright cross stitch picture is coming along...I have added more outlining this week in the evenings.  There is still more to do in the middle section at the bottom. I will work on that part tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy.   My daughter has also been working on her Prague cityscape under the close supervision of Finn.


He likes to inspect her stitches and occasionally steel any thread left lying within his reach...


I quilted my "Just Sew" wall hanging over the last couple of days.



I outlined the sewing machine and did quilted circles in the knobs. I used a couple of pieces of masking tape stuck beside each other and traced a spool to make the circle.  Then, I cut out the circle and placed it on the dark teal parts of the machine.  I then used my walking foot to slowly sew around each circle.  This method worked quite well. I'm not good at free motion quilting.


The needle of the machine is embroidered with grey thread. 


I finished off the quilting this morning and then made and machine sewed the binding to the top of the quilt just in time to leave for the London Modern Quilt Guild meeting this afternoon.  I took along a needle, thread and my thimble so that I could work on it during the meeting, hopefully completing it before show and tell.  Alas, show and tell time came up faster than I could sew and only half of the binding was sewn down before I held up my quilt for everyone to see.  


The backing fabric came from my stash and was a relatively recent purchase.  The binding fabric was purchased specifically for this quilt...I bought extra so I can use it in future projects as well.  I used turquoise thread for the quilting.


I will be adding a hanging sleeve and displaying this quilt in my sewing room. The pattern for the sewing machine and letters came from Lori Holt's book, "Spelling Bee".


I have another quilt almost done--it just needs side borders and then it can be quilted.  This will be tonight's project.

I forgot to do my stash report for February so here it is...  not too bad considering I purchased a lot of fabric at Mad About Patchwork and at QuiltCon in February!

Fabric added in Feb 2019:   27.25 yards
Fabric added in 2019:  38.75 yards
Fabric out in Feb 2019:  23.0 yards (much of this was destashed, Marie Kondo style)
Fabric out in 2019: 40.1 yards
Net fabric out in 2019:  1.35 yards

I will be focussing on finishing a bunch of UFO's this month so the fabric out should be well ahead of fabric in by the end of the month.

6 comments:

  1. your needle work photos are so pretty - I have tried to do that and my eyes can focus on those little areas to make the x's well - strange because I can focus for everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Just Sew quilt is lovely. The fabrics you chose work beautifully together. I love the aqua sewing machine. Love the backing too. Your daughter's Prague cityscape is pretty and your Frank Lloyd Wright cross stitch is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't drop the feed dogs on my machine so I always use my walking foot for machine quilting. I like that wall-hanging. FLW and Prague are looking beautiful. I love how Finn is giving his approval.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely wallhanging for your sewing room! So beautiful!
    Enjoy your cross stitching today!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! on your newly completed wall hanging. The method used for quilting the circles work beautifully! Best of luck on getting those UFOs sewn up this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Sewing Machine quilt and I think the quilting is PERFECT! I had to look closely to see exactly what you did. Your FLW is coming along beautifully as is your daughter's Prague. Could I borrow Finn for a weekend? He's adorable!!!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete