Saturday, April 13, 2019

Coming Home--Applique

Finn joined me on the couch this week for some applique for part two of Coming Home, this year's Sarah Fielke BOM project. The instructions for part two came out at the end of February, so I am a little bit behind, but I'm sure I will catch up at some point.  I am just enjoying the process of picking out fabrics and working away at the various parts of this quilt.


I finished sewing the starts to the magenta squares and cut them out into circles for the next stage of the applique.  Finn provided moral support as I sewed the stars to the chartreuse background squares.


Kathy asked last week about how I used my block book...I use it to organized the parts for my applique blocks and to keep the completed parts flat and safe from being lost in the shuffle.  Since it has a hard cover, it is also handy as a work surface on my lap as I sew, as shown in the first picture above.


This afternoon, I put the first of four sections together for the next border.  The other sections are laid out, ready to sew.  I hope to get to them early next week. The templates for part three are cut out of cardboard, ready to trace on yet to be chosen fabric.  Look for more progress next Sunday.


Finn and I enjoyed some porch time in the sunshine one evening this week.


I attended a quilting workshop on Friday, which also happened to be one year since my father died.  It seemed appropriate to be starting a new project using fabric from his shirts.  I will do a post about what I am making with these strings sometime next week.

I will be linking up with Kathy in the morning for Slow Sunday Stitching.

4 comments:

  1. That book idea is great for organizing pieces and keeping everything flat to work on. My pieces always end up getting wrinkly over time.
    Look forward to seeing what you are making with your Dad's shirts. I find that it's emotional working with clothing from loved ones... still trying to finish the quilt made from my brother's shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the applique and the quilt you are making with it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your BOM project is looking really nice! I can see Finn is great company. Looking forward to seeing what you do with those checked shirts (I loved your last projects with them!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend & I attended a string block class last month and she was using shirts from her deceased husband to make quilts for her children. It was looking wonderful and I'm sure yours will be very therapeutic for you and turn out beautiful as well. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete