Saturday, April 4, 2020

A Variety of Projects this Week

Last Sunday, I brought up this week's sewing projects from the basement sewing room to the dining room table where I have set up my temporary sewing space while Finn the grand-dog is here.  The first order of business for the week was to finish quilting this table topper, started 7 years ago.  As you can see, the binding is on and it is done!  The blocks are Bonnie Hunter's Boxy Stars. 


I don't know about you, but I am finding it hard to stay focussed on one thing for very long these days and tend to flit back and forth between projects.  I did some counted cross stitch on the March pattern from Linens and Threads.  I have to decide how I am going to use the other colours in this pattern...I have a few ideas floating around.


I started cutting and piecing the units for a new quilt that will be a gift.  I only had .5 yards of the bird print so that limited how many blocks I could make to 51 four patches.


The other unit is an HST using white and a gray print. I am aiming for a barn raising layout which may or may not be asymmetrical.  I need to make more HST's...


One day, when feeling quite rattled by all that is going on in the world, I picked up my knitting and made another dish cloth.  I find the repetitive process calms me down and gets me back on track.



And, another one to add to the growing pile!

A friend from church is organizing the making of scrub hats for our local hospital staff.  I dug into my stash and found some fabrics that I could use to make some hats...first up:  Elvis!


My SIL purchased this fabric for me at Graceland many years ago and I could just never think of anything to make with it.  I am sure it will bring a smile to someone's face when they see a doctor or nurse wearing this scrub hat!


My first batch of hats were delivered to the hospital today and I am in the process of making more.  The pattern is from YouTube and can be found here.


We have been having some beautiful sunny spring days here this past week.  Finn loves to go outside and sit or lay on the porch and watch the birds, squirrels, people and dogs go by.   I read a book and said hello to the people walking by. 


Today was Finn's 2nd birthday!  No cake but he did get some apple pieces and peanut butter for his birthday treat.


My daffodils are popping out today and should be fully open tomorrow, I hope.


I will link up with Kathy and the slow Sunday stitchers in the morning. 

9 comments:

  1. Look at that sunny blue sky and those cheery daffodils! Spring has arrived. The table topper is a pretty finish and as for your new quilt, those fabrics are lovely. Love those soft hues. I did smile when I saw the Elvis Presley fabric. This will make the 'funnest' of scrub hats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your quilty projects! The Box Stars are pretty with the secondary design in the middle. Your quilting will surely bring it out. The birdie fabric quilt is adorable and pairs beautifully with the gray. I'm looking forward to seeing how that one finishes! And yes, knitting is a great stress reliever. The repetition of going back & forth and also the clickity-clack of the needles doing their job. I often fall asleep while knitting! Be safe and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cutie Finn is ! I love the idea of sitting out and saying hello to neighbors. we go for lots of neighborhood walks and I've met some people for the first time.
    Cute scrub cap.
    I love that bird print that will make a sweet gift. Looks like you have a lot to keep you busy.
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes... the repetitive process is so soothing especially at this time. So lucky to have Finn's company! I haven't seen my daughter or granddog in a month and am finding that hard. Love the elvis scrub cap... get job on that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks like you are able to be outside where you are that is good. Keep on stitching - it will keep us all sane won't it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects! Like you have numerous things to keep me occupied. There aren't enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Finn! I feel the same as it is hard to focus these days! You've got some lovely projects to bounce between!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the table top pattern, you always have such lovely fabrics! Those scrub hats will definitely bring a smile to someone's face and we all really need that at the moment! I know what you mean about finding it difficult to settle to one project at the moment, but I do find the repetition of cross stitch soothing. I see you are reading an Alexander McCall smith book, I can't see the title but wonder if it's one of his 44 scotland street books? He is my favourite author EVER! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS Happy 2nd birthday to Finn.

    ReplyDelete