Saturday, March 28, 2020

A Few Finishes

My sewing machine was moved up to the dining room table as the sewing room is not a safe place for Finn to hang out with me...too many things for a curious little dog to get into.  I started out this week making three more blocks for the London Modern Guild HST BOM.  The patterns for April and May were posted this week --three blocks in total.  Here are my blocks. 



And here are all 8 that I have made so far.  The final reveal of how they are to be put together will happen at the end of the year.


Finn and I also did some knitting this week.  He loves it when I sit down to knit or read or cross stitch.  He curls up in a ball and sleeps in my lap. He doesn't seem to mind being a model for my knitting either!  This half made dish cloth could be his super-hero cape!


I finished off the hat I was making last week and made a second one the same.  I am up to 4 dishcloths now too.  Here is a picture of my finished knitting projects.


I am not sure what I will make next.  I have a different hat pattern to try and the wool to make it.  I found another dishcloth pattern to try as well.  I enhanced my dish cloth yarn stash this week by ordering online from a local yarn shop so I won't run out of knitting to do for a while. It was very handy to just drive to the store, open my trunk and call them on my cell phone--they brought out my order and put it in the trunk for me.  I ordered some fabric online from a local-ish fabric store and they mailed it to me.  It arrived the next day.  I hope that all of the small businesses manage to stay open during and after this crisis and I did my part to help them this week.

Finn and I also spent some time cross stitching this week.  I finished off the February ornament for the Linens and Threads stitch along.  The material is cut out and ready to start March's pattern tomorrow. 



I spent quite a bit of my sewing time this week making the rest of the blocks for my Snowflake quilt. You can see Finn was waiting for my husband to get home from work while I was sewing.  He seems to know that it is time for him to be home in the late afternoon and will sit on the back of the couch for an hour, eyes glued to the street, looking for the right car to come around the corner. 


I finished the last of the blocks for this quilt this morning.   Finn wanted to help me show it off.


He lost interest quickly when he realized that no treats were involved.


The backing fabric is in the laundry basket, ready to wash before I sew it...there are some extra red squares leftover from the front so there may be a stripe across the back so I can use them up.


Finn and I came across this sage advice on one of our walks this week. Day by day, we will get through this difficult and trying time.  Stay home.  Keep sewing. Stay safe.  Take care.  I will be linking up with Kathy and the sewcially distancing Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.

10 comments:

  1. Finn is definitely a great model for the super-hero cape. I'd love to have a dog on the lap too. LOVE the reds in your snowflake quilt. Nicely done. I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your advice of keep sewing through this difficult time. Isn't it wonderful we can do this. I did smile at Finn being a model for your knitting. Your Snowflake quilt is stunning. The white snowflake set against those little tiny red fabrics looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post! Absolutely love the red & white Snowflake quilt and the February ornament is gorgeous. Love how it looks argyle-ish upon close inspection. Your dish cloths & hats are wonderful success stories. I'll repeat -- fabulous post!

    PS Love each and every picture of Finn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you are keeping busy - your knitting needles have been flying! great that they stayed open and you can order on line. I don't have any shops near me but I have a ton of supplies. That is an interesting mystery that you show first the blocks are so different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Finn is curled up on your lap it's hard to know where his head is! Your projects are looking good. I'm especially loving your red and white snowflake. Glad you stocked up on wool and fabric , as you say I wonder how many of these small businesses will make it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe Finn thinks you are knitting him a scarf? You really went to town on that red white and it really turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great projects! The snowflake quilt is lovely, as is your stitchery. I have my sewing machine set up in the kitchen, but as we currently have no heat, so I need a jacket to work in there! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the snowflake quilt and your February ornament is wonderful. I think I may have to make that soon. Do you know how you are going to finish it yet? I really like all those blocks too. It will be a while, but I look forward to seeing how they are going to fit together. You have been doing a lot of knitting too. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore that snowflake quilt and of course, your pretty cross stitching too. My Mom gave me a supply of knitted dish cloths before she could no longer knit at 86. Love them too.

    ReplyDelete