Saturday, June 20, 2020

Baby Quilt Done, Lap Quilt Started

Last week, I showed two piles of blocks for this baby quilt--the rectangular four patches and the I Spy blocks.  I have way too many I spy fabrics but could not resist buying this one to add to my collection--who doesn't love a popsicle in the summertime?  


I got busy at my sewing machine this week and put the quilt top together, quilted it on my DSM and did the binding...One completed baby quilt in less than a week!

Since I did not want to go out to a quilt store to buy backing, I pieced the backing with flannel leftovers in gray, white and turquoise to match the front.  The fabric in the top row has sock monkeys on it!

The quilting is straight lines diagonally through all of the blocks, creating a diamond pattern. 


I had enough of the turquoise fabric from the 4-patches for the binding.  

This baby quilt is ready for gifting.  The baby boy is not due until later this summer so the quilt is ready in plenty of time. 

On Friday afternoon, Christine, Sarah and I had a virtual sew-in for three hours on FaceTime.  Christine worked on a baby quilt and a pillow while Sarah was making a Canada flag quilt, hoping to get it done in time for Canada Day on July 1st.  I worked on the hexagon quilt I showed a few posts back.  I got all of the half hexies sewn together and then laid them out on the floor with the Essex Linen fabric I had chosen for the borders.  I was not really keen on how the blocks seemed to smush together with this layout so decided to sleep on it--this often helps me when I am trying to figure out a quilt layout or solve some other type of problem. 


Today, with a fresh outlook, I moved the pieces around and came up with this:

I wanted the end product to be a rectangular lap quilt and the other layout was not going to be the right shape or big enough.  I added gray triangles in the empty spots and started sewing the columns together today.  Check back next week for a picture of the finished quilt (I hope!)

I finished off the pink facecloth this week and started another one.  The texture created by the pattern is fun and looks interesting from both sides. I have enough yarn to make 5 of these. 



Finn has been "assisting" my daughter while she works at home...she didn't need that half of the keyboard anyways...

Finn "helped" my daughter to open a package of embroidery thread and Aida cloth this week, as well.  He must have thought it was treats for him!  She has started a new cityscape --any guesses??? 


 I like the way she stores her threads. 


The dove babies left the nest this week and posed for a photo with their parents before flying off for their next adventure. 

A few more flowers are out this week. Lavender:

Elderberry (this is a bush)

Allium

My herbs include parsley, cilantro, basil and rosemary. They will soon be big enough to start picking them. 

I will link up with Kathy and associates at the Slow Sunday Stitching link up in the morning. 








11 comments:

  1. The gray diamonds was EXACTLY what the hexies needed. Good sleeping-on-it! Your facecloth's textured pattern is really, really pretty! Silly Finn - such a helper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the family of dove's how nice to see. love all your quilts and your backing or your quilt is perfect isn't it - why run out to shops if you can figure out what to use from your stash

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grey diamonds in between those hexies is a perfect fit! The baby boy quilt is such fun....so many delightful I Spy fabrics to be seen. The backing fabrics all joined together from what you have look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great baby quilt finish. What a nice shed too! your pieced back looks great.
    what fun blocks and projects you have going. The hexie blocks look nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun post filled with stitching progress! Oh Finn, that is not helping but hopefully got you a few tummy rubs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finish on your baby quilt--The backing will be so cozy...
    I like your hexagon colors--nice work with those gray diamonds...hugs from homebase, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun post with lovely photos Gail! That eye spy quilt is a great pattern and makes such a perfect baby gift.
    Love that knitted cloth... the texture of the design is very cool! Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great baby quilt and backing! Love that knitted piece, and seeing the dove family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Spy quilts are fun to make and give. Love your lil’ building. Is it a She Shed? Good idea to sleep on quilt layout. New layout looks better. Finn is content hanging out on the keyboard. My lavender has begun to bloom. No clue on which city is being stitched. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great design for a quick baby quilt! It looks like you have some great I Spy fabrics in there, too. The gray and red hexies are going to make a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The grey looks great with your red hexies, it's an excellent combination. I love an eye spy quilt and you have some really good fabrics for it. The jigsaw pieces really caught my eye! No idea where your daughters latest cross stitch is but she has a nice collection of threads!

    ReplyDelete