Saturday, October 31, 2020

Piecing, Stitching and Knitting

Last weekend, I took a class with Mary Elizabeth Kinch on piecing with small bits of fabric.  The quilt I am making is called Summerhill.  It has 4 blocks surrounded by some borders.  I have now finished two of my blocks.  Each square in this first block finishes at one inch. 


The second one is a Courthouse step block--each log is .5" finished.  This is not paper pieced. 


I am using scraps from my cool Kona solids bin plus red violet.  About half of the scraps are all over my cutting table so I am going to have to keep working on the last two blocks and the pieced border before working on any other projects this week. The next two blocks are started.  


Earlier this week, I sewed my last 16 lupin blocks together...this took longer than I expected but I am glad to have them done.  All 48 blocks are in a bin, waiting for me to cut the setting rectangles and then lay everything out on the floor to put it all together.  This is a queen sized quilt and is too big for my design wall. 


This scrappy yellow block is the first in my next rainbow scrap challenge project.  Even the white pieces were cut from my Kona scraps.  The pattern for this block is from Gudrun Erla's Quilts of Iceland book. 

I started a new baby washcloth this week...so far, I just have the lower border done but I will be working on this again tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching, along with my blackwork project. There are 9 coloured squares and 4 gray ones in this Celtic knot design.  


My daughter's blackwork bee project looks amazing!  She sent me this picture today after finished another bee.  There are 19 hexagons in her picture, as well as several bees. 


Her embroidery has lots of wonderful texture!

We planted four different types of daffodil bulbs in our back gardens today. The squirrels tend to leave the daffodils alone so I'm looking forward to seeing these interesting blooms in the spring. 


We didn't have very many Trick or Treaters this year, but the few we did have were all very cute! I gave them their candy with a long tool that belonged to my parents--they used it to pick things up off the floor or from a high shelf. It worked very well to deliver treats to the kids' bags at a safe distance. Until next week, have a great week, filled with lots of sewing, knitting and stitching. 

12 comments:

  1. what great blocks with solids. Mary Elizabeth is so inspiring. I love her accent. WE both went to Beaver Island but we've never met.
    Your embroidery is wonderful.
    Daffodils are such a treat in the spring. Can't wait to see them next year - hurry 2021~

    ReplyDelete
  2. everything looks great! I just had one trick or treater that is family but not seen often so she stood way back and held her bag open and I tossed the candy in it from the doorway.
    I have bulbs to plant this week with warmer back up for a week I should be able to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my so many lovely projects! Lots and Lots of beautiful stitching! Is your daughter using a pattern? I love the texture of the added bees, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this post! You are tempting me to get back to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge...I'll have to see if I come up with a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your projects are lovely the paper piecing looks like a lot of work, there is no way I could make anything so neat and perfect, it's great that you have so many things to work on you won't get bored that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great projects you have to work on, and lovely stitching! Love the color of that baby cloth. You'll never get bored!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your quilting projects. They are all so pretty. I am going to make a queen-sized log cabin variation for my daughter where all the log start at 1 1/8 in wide. Your courthouse blocks give me hope that I will be able to manage it. I am enjoying watching your progress and your daughter's on the blackwork pieces. That embroidery is really looking great too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many wonderful projects going on there! Love the mini piecing you are doing! And all the hand stitching projects... divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those solid colours are gorgeous. Not sure I've got the patience for such tiny pieces and yours are so accurate! Both of your blackwork pieces are looking great, it's amazing the variety of stitches and how using coloured thread alters the look totally. I LOVE that yellow block design too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to see all your projects, piecing, embroidery, knitting, and your daughters work is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Summerhill blocks!! Don't those fabrics play fabulously together. My oh my, one inch squares and all stitched together perfectly! The yellow block is a lovely design. Both your blackwork and your daughter's hexies and bees are just lovely. Love all the different daffodils you can get these days. They will look a treat come springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both your & your daughter's stitcheries are so beautiful. Looking forward to seeing those lupines come together!

    ReplyDelete