Saturday, January 30, 2021

Challenge Quilt Done


I have never used more than one or two colours of thread to quilt one of my projects before this week.  Last year, the Oxford Quilt Guild issues a challenge to make a quilt using blocks with 15 2.5" squares and 5 flying geese.  I proceeded to make 16 blocks, each a different colour, without repeating any of the fabrics in the blocks. Each block contains 25 unique fabrics.  The blocks have been sitting in a bin in my sewing room for a couple of months while I thought about how I might set them to make my quilt. I put them out on the floor this week and tried various fabrics that I had in my stash for sashing.  First, I tried a few different prints but they fought with the blocks so I ended up using black. I cut the sashing 1.5" wide.  The black block blended too much with the black sashing so I decided to sash it in orange instead, to match the little lady bug in one of the black fabrics. 


I pin basted the quilt earlier this week and then hung it over the railing to look at it and decide on how to quilt it.  I am a walking foot quilter and wanted to emphasize the motion created by the flying geese in my blocks.  The geese in the middle of the quilt fly clockwise and the geese on the outside fly counter clockwise. 


I wanted to just use one colour of thread for the entire quilt but could not find one colour in my thread stash that looked good with every block. The quilt kept telling me to use matching thread for each block and I finally listened and plunged in. 


I only had one colour of pink thread in my stash, so the pink and magenta blocks are both quilted with the same colour.  In total, I used 15 colours of thread, which are shown in the first picture of this post. 


I used black binding, despite the fact that I hate sewing black fabric with black thread--so hard to see, even with good lighting!  

The backing is some black and white gingham, printed on the diagonal with an orange stripe inserted to make it wide enough.


This challenge was to be done for our meeting later this week.  It will be interesting to see all of the different versions that people have made. 

I finished off my December Modern BOM block this week as well. 


I have finished 5/12 blocks.  The February block pattern will be released in mid-February. 


More stitches were added to Love Birds again this week--I finished the leaves in this section and have the cream coloured flower about 3/4 done.  




My daughter received the Ecru thread I sent to her in the mail and there was enough to finish her embroidery picture. It's so pretty!


The bicycle embroidery is just about done now.  I am in love with the stitches on the basket!



It's been very cold where Finn and my daughter live this past week so Finn had to wear his coat and boots when he went out for a walk.  He has an LED collar to make him visible at night.  Finn is not very excited to put on his boots but the salt on the sidewalk hurts his paws so he must wear them. 


We had a little bit of snow here this past week--light and fluffy. 


I will link up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge today and Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching group tomorrow.  

14 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of using a rainbow of colors in quilts, but FIFTEEN different threads in ONE quilt?!?! The thought of it makes me shake my head in wonder. All those thread changes. Love, love, LOVE your completed quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your colorful geese migration quilt, and the quilting designs just right for this design. I didn't know about salt on snow, what does it do, you can tell me winters aren't snowy like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your finished quilt is a beauty! The block with orange sashing is an inspired choice. Wow, such a fabulous idea to use all those different colours for the quilting. Excellent quilting pattern too. Your daughter's embroidery is stunning and I must say I smiled at the sight of Finn wearing his boots. The bicycle with the basket of flowers is a stunning embroidered pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your work is lovely and your daughters embroidery is beautiful, I love the bicycle embroidery the stitches are so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Molly dog had de-icer / salt burns on her paws when I adopted her, we had the whole 'cone of shame' so she wouldn't chew on them and make her even sicker. Poor baby. She was almost feral so having me have to put the medical creams on her pads was pretty scary and traumatic for us both. She took lots of patience and love before she learned to trust people. I miss her so much. I'm ready for another dog, but have to wait until I retire next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that quilt! I can definitely see why you needed to used different colors for quilting. Your daughter's embroidery is beautiful. I do love that bicycle piece that you are working on. So pretty. Love Finn's boots. My daughter's pup has a set too, but hates them also. We are expecting up to 12 inches of heavy snow tomorrow. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your challenge quilt is wonderful! I love the block you designed and that you made it in a rainbow of colors! Neat idea to have the one block sashed in orange.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow great job using so many different thread colors. your modern quilting looks great and your efforts were worth it.
    Great pieced backing too.
    You and your daughters stitching is lovely. I too really like the basket stitching.
    we're getting a big storm. I wish we could get just a regular snow. stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter embroidery is very pretty. You did a great job using all those diferent thread colors for quilting. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy that is a lot of threads! Lovely quilt though! Your stitching and your daughters are beautiful pieces! Finn doesn't look very happy with his boots! He is always such a character! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thoses colourful threads all together look wonderful!
    I love the orange boarder for the black square. It really stands out and adds another dimension to the quilt. The embroideries are beautiful too.
    Finn's boots are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The flying geese quilt is awesome, but the embroidery is absolutely stunning. The stitches, perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finn does not look impressed! That orange is a great addition. You really have a terrific eye for colour. Beautiful stitching from both you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Challenge quilt. The orange frame is PERFECT but the little gray block with the 2.5" square spotlighting the cardinal has my heart. I love birds and cardinals in particular. Your daughter's & your needleworks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete