Saturday, January 8, 2022

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2022 and Comfort Quilts

 Last year, I made a couple of RSC quilts using the monthly colours at Angela's blog. This year, in an effort to use up even more scraps, I will be working on three projects.  I managed to get one block for the first quilt done this week using leftover red 2.5" squares from last year's projects.  The white solid squares were cut from my solid scrap bin. 


We took a long drive in the car this week to take our daughter and Finn home.  I volunteered to bind a comfort quilt for the Elgin Piecemakers Guild and did the hand stitching in the car. 



As you can see, I used the cut offs from trimming the quilt to make the binding.  I had 6" to spare! A simple block, one made by each member, makes a fun quilt. 


I also did some knitting in the car---I am just about finished this green dish cloth.  


Here is a picture of the last hat that I made for a friend for Christmas.  I was not able to give it to her until this past week--she loves it and put it on right away.  It even matches her new winter coat that I had not even seen before!


The Elgin Piecemakers had a donation of several bags and boxes of children's fabrics and so three of us got together last summer to make up 20 kits to make kids quilts for the local women's shelter.  The kit that I put together was very simple--a panel with borders and cornerstones.  I basted and quilted it on my DSM this week and added the binding.  I am about half finished with the hand sewing of the binding.  I will show a picture of the completed quilt next week. 


It's rather quiet around here without Finn and our daughter.  We took down our Christmas decorations and tree today and put the furniture back where it belongs.  I'm hoping for some more stitching and knitting time tomorrow for slow Sunday stitching with Kathy and her followers.  



Have a great week!

14 comments:

  1. Lively RED 36-Patch for the RSC and a lovely donation quilt finish!! It's SEW wonderful when the entire group pitches in to help, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it that your daughter and Finn live a distance from you? it looks like you have winter for sure from looking at your roads - here it is just dreary and chilly and wet - we get more rain in the winter than snow. I hope you do well on your RSC quilts - I love keeping up with it

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made good use of your road trip time. Your red RSC block turned out beautifully. Hopefully the three projects you've got going this year will help make a dent in your scrap bins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That comfort quilt is so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing the children's quilt. Thanks for the snowy Finn photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The variety of red scraps used make a simple block charming. Reminds me of Red Pepper quilts. Bright cheery greens in the other quilt. The speckled hat looks warm and toasty and is an excellent gift. Surely your household is perhaps too quiet without your daughter and Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That 36 patch block is so pretty with its reds and white! That will make a great RSC design. I love the comfort quilt your group made, too. Hope Finn gets to come visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great variety of projects. I'll bet it is very quiet with Finn around to make sure everyone is doing as they should. Love the knitted hat and the dish cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great variety of red scraps on this block, you and your friends made a pretty Confort quilt. Love The letras fábrica you use for backing. Oh my, you will miss Finn and your daughter. Hope you can be together soon. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many fun slow stitching projects! That lettered fabric is fabulous! I've been working exclusively on my QAYG hexies, but am eager to add an embroidery project to my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The silence always seems so daunting when everyone leaves after the holidays but I'm sure you, like me, will soon be back to normal days. We just took down our tree also and put the house back in order as well. Isn't it funny how that hat was absolutely meant to be given to that particular friend! It looks great. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great projects! I love that green dishcloth! You certainly have gotten a lot done this week. I think the silence is bothering me this week too. I always am happy to get my house back in order though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The car and long drives is always perfect for some slow hand stitching or knitting/crocheting. The weather looks a bit bleak there. =) I always enjoy seeing what you imagine with those scraps of yours...and your other pretty fabrics. Your charity quilt is sweet; how kind you are♡

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have had a busy week. Cute block for the RSC challenge and great use of time in binding the quilt ( I do the same- lol.) Have a great week and happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great projects. Love the fabrics in the comfort quilt!

    ReplyDelete