Friday, January 28, 2022

Two Finishes and a Comfort Quilt Block

As you can see below, I finished hand stitching the binding on my Summerhill Quilt this week.  I added a hanging sleeve and it is now on the wall in my dining room. I had fun quilting this one --it took several hours even though it is only 30" square.  I am especially pleased with the inner gray border.  I quilted an X in the intersections and then echo quilted in each elongated hexagon. I had not seen this done anywhere else before.  


Here are detail pictures of the blocks and borders. 








While I was in the mood for walking foot quilting, I changed the thread in my machine to a 28wt red and got busy quilting my "Big Love" heart quilt.  This quilt is 36" by 42". I decided this one just needed texture so it is quilted with straight lines horizontally across the quilt.  I used the edge of my walking foot as a guide. 



I found the perfect colour of turquoise solid to use for the binding and hand stitched it down for my slow stitching this week.  You can see that I pieced some red and blue flannel for the back of the quilt--all from the stash.  This quilt will hang in my front hall from now until the end of February. 



We had our Elgin Piecemakers Guild meeting on Zoom last night. We determined which colours we will be using for our comfort quilt blocks each month for the rest of the year.  First up is red and gray.  I dug into my scrap bins and made this Drunkard's Path block for the February block.  Since red is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour of the month, I will link up with those folks in the morning. 


My husband took some kitchen scraps out to the composter today and when he took the lid off, this is what he saw.  Spiky frost!!!  He called for me to get my phone so I could take some pictures. So cool, literally and figuratively!




Finn got some snow on his whiskers today when he went out for a walk. There are all kinds of good smells underneath all that snow!


I will link up with the Slow Sunday stitchers at Kathy's blog on Sunday morning.  

22 comments:

  1. great photos of the spiky frost!! Love the wall hanging - great job on that. When you use 28wt thread for the quilting what do you use in the bobbin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your two wallhangers, you did perfect quilting with your walking foot. And the new block for the comfort quilt is also beautiful, Gail.
    Cool photos of the spiky frosty.
    Finn is so cute, don't you want to hug him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful Drunkards path block. Love that the compost heap was a site of such beauty! What a great reminder to keep searching for good everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two gorgeous little quilts! The backing on the Purple and turquoise one is beautiful. Love your spiky frost pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two fabulous finishes and a lovely quilt block, congratulations! Glad that your hubby called you out to take a picture of that ice. SO cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful finished quilts with unique quilting. It is cold, the frost patterns are just incredible. Finn looks like he had lots of fun. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting on Summerhill is certainly unique! And we’ll done! Looks like you got a head start on the February color with Big Love! I “love” it! Frost on the compost heap! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have two beautiful finishes there, Gail! Summerhill is wonderful with its bright blocks against the gray. I also love the heart quilt - red and turquoise are really pretty together. Cool frost and cute Finn with his booties on, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both your finishes look great, I'm a big fan of straight line quilting, it always looks so smart, I think. Not that I wouldn't love to be FMQ expert, but its beyond my capabilities. Always love to see what Finn is getting up to, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilting you did on the first quilt - just lovely. The heart quilt is a beauty. Those ice crystals are amazing and Finn is a cutie. Those things under the snow smell soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you quilted both of those quilts. Isn't nature just amazing? Those ice crystals are beautiful. Finn is adorable with his snowy muzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much eye candy! Your quilts are so pretty. The frost is also beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such cool finishes... enjoy the binding as much as Finn enjoys the snow.. our pooch LOVES snow.... frequently she has to get a warm rinse off to keep the clumped up snow from chilling her too much... Finn has longer legs so I doubt with his shoes on that is a problem for you... Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on finishing not one but TWO quilts! Great job on the quilting!
    Love that red and grey block design!
    And very fascinating photos of the frost!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very nice job on the valentine project...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your finishes, I love the Valentine project. Great pictures of the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gail, every time I visit your lovely place there is always such gorgeousness to see. I do believe there is no-one quite like you with your fabulous way with fabrics, colour and design. Each quilt is always a masterpiece. How, I would love to dive head first into your fabric stash! The quilting on your Summerhill quilt is splendid. Those elongated hexagons are inspired and along with the X's look as if they were just meant to be. Big Heart is gorgeous, as is your new Elgin Piecemakers' block. Finn.....dogs will always burrow deep down to get what they can sniff. I just think frost bite! =) As for the photos of the spiky frost...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dark gray background on your Summerhill Quilt is really cool. Using the pieced/crumb fabrics for the Drunkards Path was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful job on the quilts, luv the grey background

    ReplyDelete
  20. The straight-line quilting is perfect for Summerhill and Big Love. Clean and crisp lines which compliments the pattern. Perfect names for the quilts also. Such interesting ice formations. Prettier than crystal. Certainly, Finn knows he’s going outside when he sees his winter coat and booties.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Those solids make a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Modern Quilt. The colors are wonderful and I bet it looks terrific in your Dining Room. Great quilting and I LOVE that backing fabric - Nice surprise.
    Great machine quilting on your heart too - you've had a great quilting month!
    Finn is so cute

    ReplyDelete