Saturday, February 5, 2022

Blocks, Blocks and More Blocks

 I dug into my scrap bins this week to made my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for February in Turquoise. I am working on three RSC projects for this year.  The first one is a 36 patch. 



Next, I pulled out my selvages and foundation pieced these squares on lightweight non-fusible interfacing.   Then, I cut them in half.  I am still not sure if these will become flying geese or HST's. 



Time to dig into my turquoise bits and pieces to make a Drunkard's path block. The four quarter circle units are not sewn to each other yet.  I am not sure how I will lay these ones out in the final project and don't want to commit too soon. I will link up with Angela and the RSC group



Last week, the Elgin Piecemakers guild met on Zoom and we determined the colours for our comfort quilts for the rest of the year.  Our group has 18 members and we each make one block in the colours for each month.  We make sampler quilts from the blocks each month so each block is different. I usually make all my blocks at once so I am ready for the year. I have now made all nine blocks!

February:  red and gray


March: light gray, yellow and bright blue


April: black, rust and cream


May: Black, white and lime green


June: purple and yellow


September:  two blocks--1. Green, rust and gold.  2. fall colours



October: Gray, yellow and white.  I decided to try my version of a disappearing churn dash block.  The way the middle fabric ended up swirling in a circle in the final block was pure luck--not planned, but it looks neat!



November: blue, yellow and white


Here are all nine blocks on my design wall.  Yellow was a popular colour choice this year!


I finished off my last spool of white thread this week and opened up my cone of Auriful 50wt white.  I wonder how long it will last?





The long arm quilter that lives around the corner finished quilting this red, gray and white comfort quilt earlier this week.  I trimmed it and made the binding today and will be working on sewing it on by machine and by hand this week for my slow stitching.  The blocks for this quilt were made by members of  the Elgin Piecemakers and several other quilting friends to make a comfort quilt for a refugee that never arrived.  I found the finished top when cleaning up a pile of fabric and decided it needed to get finished and given to someone.  I'm glad it is close to the finish line and will soon be helping to keep someone warm. 



This year, once a month, I am going to do a stash report. For January, I used 12.3 yards of fabric.  I purchased 2.7 yards of fabric for an upcoming guild challenge.  Stash reduction is underway!

Finn comes running when he hears the FaceTime jingle.  He knows that we usually say he can have a treat when we call.  He sometimes is a bit of a screen hog on the calls!


I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

20 comments:

  1. I never noticed before how well aqua and red go together - I noticed when making my blocks and see the same with yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red valentine with turquoise background is striking. I like the look of salvages, but don't have the patience or the salvages ;-) to sew together. Finn is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous selection of TEAL/TURQUOISE/AQUA made it into your blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that face, Finn! That's a nice selection if blocks you stitched for the comfort quilts. Are you given the pattern to make each month, or just the colour suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did enjoy reading your post, so many interesting facets. You said your Elgin Quilters group choose colours for each month’s block and I see each month’s block is a different design. Is that chosen as well to match the colour choice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wide array of colours and designs in all your blocks. Loving those Drunkard's Path blocks of red and grey, and turquoise and white. This is going to be a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still in awe of the number of blocks you manage to make. Your interesections are so precise also. It is taking me forever just to complete the next 10 blocks for my Log Cabin Star quilt. I can tell that you have a huge stash with all the different fabrics that you used on those pretty blocks. I love the way Finn is paying attention to FaceTime. My daughter's dog could care less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing group of projects, aqua blocks looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your blocks but those drunkards path blocks in "made fabric from crumbs really is amazing... I will look forward to seeing how you put them all together.... your zoom blocks are great too as are all the rsc quilts you have going... Finn is a fun pup... thanks for sharing all you have going on and happy stitching that binding! I finished mine this week! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful array of blocks! Love them all but partial to the Drunkards' Path...and a reminder that I have that template somewhere. Zooming Finn is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Drunkards' Patch made with crumbs. Smart of you sewing all the blocks for the year. Show us the quilts when they are finished by the group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see what you do with the selvage triangles!
    Oh that sweet Finn is such a character!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great variety of blocks you have. I especially love your heart quilt in your header with the turquoise. Finn is such an adorable character!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a nice post! So many wonderful blocks, plus a comfort quilt for someone in need. Your Finn is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finn is so cute, looking at the screen like that! You have lots of neat blocks and projects going on at your house. I really like the DP blocks made of crumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful group of quilt blocks. You have been very busy with the aqua and teal blocks. Super cute quilt in the header. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, your studio is a flurry of fun activity. I love the scrappy Drunkard's Path blocks but not as much your cute fur baby.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you’ve been really busy. I love those string blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Met you today on Carol's zoom. I will have to send you a pic of my Percy...he looks like Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've got a lot of great RSC projects going. The Disappearing Churn Dash is a beauty and Finn is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete