Saturday, February 19, 2022

Embroidery, Binding and What's on my Design Wall

For my slow stitching this week, I spent some time working on my embroidered quilt label for my Lupine quilt.  I removed the blue pen marks from the parts that I have done already.  I had to do some unstitching when I used only two strands of floss instead of three when I started stitching the black letters this week.  Oops!  I must say it is harder to unstitch embroidery than machine stitching!


I added the binding to another comfort quilt this week and started hand stitching it on the back.  This is a biggish square quilt so I anticipate another day or two of stitching to get it done.  The top was made by my friend Maureen and it will be donated to the Women's Shelter. I will show a picture of the top when I have the binding done. The spool holder was made by my friend Carol's Dad.  A tree branch fell down in his yard and he made lots of these which Carol gave to all her quilting friends. There is a magnet under my metal needle minder. The backing was donated by another Elgin Piecemakers Guild member who was purging it from her stash.  Julie from the Elgin Piecemakers did the quilting. 


Today was our Guild Sewing Day for the Oxford Guild.  The Vice President's challenge was the project...I used my Shweshwe fat quarters and newly acquired background fabric for my quilt top. I made lots of HST's this week to prepare for today.  Here are samples of my HST's. 


We were to make some irregular rail fence blocks as well to incorporate into our quilts.  I made a dozen and put everything on my design wall today.   I am going to tweak where things are over the next few days until I am happy with it. I am not sure I want the rail fence blocks in there.  I will consider some other  ideas before I sew the blocks together.  If you want to weigh in with your opinions, please feel free to do so in the comments!


I will continue to sew my binding and work on my embroidery tomorrow for my Slow Sunday Stitching tomorrow.  I will link with Kathy's blog in the morning. 

I made some raspberry scones this week.  Here is a link to the recipe.  I froze some raspberries and blueberries last summer--my husband is not a big blueberry fan so I substituted raspberries for blueberries.  Just make sure the berries are thawed before you add them to your mixing bowl.  I have made these with blueberries as well---I think they are delicious both ways!


Finn continues to keep us all entertained.  Note that he has a treat on each foot in this picture and has to wait until I say ok (on FaceTime) to eat them. 

Have a good week!

10 comments:

  1. the scones look wonderful and remind me to make them sometime - I have a recipe for chocolate chip scones that I love - the thread holder is such a great idea one would be able to get a lot from good tree branch - a great recycle idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new background fabric is perfect for the blues. Brilliant idea on spool holder. He could sell them. On second look at design wall, I agree about the railroad squares. They look appear small in relation to the other squares. When Finn goes for his treats, does he go to his left, right paw, or is he ambidextrous pawed. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a hard time finding those rail fence blocks in all the HSTs. I really am not sure I like them with all the other blocks. They seem to get lost. Those scones look delicious. I may have to make them this week. Finn is just so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scones looks delicious, Gail.
    I like the thread holder. Looking forward for seeing what you decided about the railroad squares. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fabulous embroidered label!
    Love the shweshwe quilt top!
    And that Finn... OMG he is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely embroidered label, and love the Shweshwe quit top! Finn is adorable, and amazing he can sit still till you say OK! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that Finn - what an adorable little guy he is! And he obeys on Facetime, too. That looks like the perfect label for your lupine quilt, and love your shweshwe prints with that background, too. It looks like you'll have fun designing the layout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, poor Finn, does he have a difficult time waiting? And he waits for you via the computer screen, what a clever dog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fabrics in the Shweshwe quit top. I am not too sure about the rail fence blocks, either; but I am certain you will come up with something amazing. Finn truly is sweet; and patient!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finn is so cute, those scones sound lovely thank you for the link, your embroidered label is lovely I always have difficulty embroidering letters. Thank you for your visit, I have downloaded the app Duolingo and am finding it very helpful, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete