Saturday, February 26, 2022

This Week's Sewing Adventures


It's been a busy week in the sewing room at my house!  The log blocks really did nothing to enhance my Oxford Quilter's Guild VP day challenge quilt so I removed them and made a few more HST's. I rearranged the HST's to my liking and then started sewing the rows together.  Most of the rows are sewn and the top two are sewn to each other.  I will likely finish this top this week. I love the Shweshwe fabrics I have used for this project!



I finished the embroidery on my Lupine quilt label this week and now just have to piece the back and get it off to the long arm quilter's house.  I like to have my label quilted into the quilt--it won't fall off that way!


On Wednesday, I attended a Traditional Variations class with Cheryl Arkison on Zoom.  We made variations of four different traditional blocks.  Cheryl encouraged us to play and have fun trying new things.  I decided ahead of time to use some batik fabrics that were in my stash, picking out some red, orange, green and blue pieces.  I will be using my blocks to make a Quilt for a Residential School survivor--a project that has been taken on by members of the Toronto Modern Guild.  


I made a 6" church dash block in the traditional way and then made a 12" block with "curved triangles" in the corners. 

My 6" pinwheel was made in the traditional way and the bigger block was made with half rectangle triangles.


I also made one liberated wonky star block and a couple of log cabin variations.  I used the leftover curved  bits from the churn dash to make a curved pinwheel block.  I still have lots of ideas and fabric left so more blocks will be put together over the next while until I have enough for a lap sized quilt.  I decided to stick with 6" and 12" blocks so it goes together easily.  



I finished hand stitching the binding on this quilt--the top was made by Maureen H. and she gave it to me to donate to a worthy cause.  Julie from the Elgin Piecemakers quilted it and it will go to the local women's shelter.  



When I showed all of my comfort quilt blocks a couple of weeks ago, someone asked me to show all the blocks that were made by members of the Elgin Piecemakers for each month.  Here are all the red and gray blocks for February.  One of our members will make a quilt top with sashing and cornerstones, and then one of our long armers will quilt it.  Another member will do the binding and then it will be ready to donate. 


Finn took my daughter's mitten outside this week while he did his business and then brought it back inside when he was done.  Silly boy!


I wound a ball of wool earlier today during a zoom meeting.  I am going to make myself a hat!  I have made hats for many others but have never made one for myself.  I hope to start knitting tomorrow for my Slow Sunday Stitching project.  I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 


Until next time, enjoy your stitching!

10 comments:

  1. Your blocks look fantastic with the batik fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your embroidery label, Gail.
    All donation quilts from your group will be very well appreciated by the recipients. Looking forward for seeing your new hat. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun visit to your sewing room... congrats on finishing the binding and preparing it for donation to a woman's shelter too!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise choice to remove the rail/log blocks that you did not care for. They would have always bothered you. The Shweshwe's are striking. They show up nicely against the background fabric. Hilarious about Finn holding onto the mitten while outside as if it's security to be with your daughter. The hat with variegated yarn will go with just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wonky star block! You always have such a lovely variety of things you are working on. Finn is always so entertaining! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt for the women's shelter. Those colorful fabrics are making beautiful blocks! I love reading about Finn's antics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been very busy. Love how your quilt is coming along. You have so many lovely projects that you are working on . Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasn't that a fun class?!? I really enjoyed it!
    What a beautiful quilt you are donating to the shelter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your indigo quilt. The workshop looks like it was a great deal of fun.

    ReplyDelete