Saturday, February 12, 2022

Prepping for Guild Sewing Day and some Hand stitching.

I'm not one of those quilters who cuts everything out before starting to sew a quilt.  I like to cut a little, sew a little, press a little and then repeat until I have enough blocks. This week, I started getting ready for the Vice President's Challenge day at the Oxford Quilters Guild next Saturday.  This event, usually in person, will be on Zoom again this year.  I needed several fat quarters and some yardage for background for this project.  We are to prepare a whole bunch of HST's before the sewing day.  I am using some Shweshwe fabrics for my project. These fabrics are produced in South Africa but are distributed in Canada by Meerkat Trading. I purchased my FQ's years ago when Céleste spoke at the London Friendship Guild and I'm happy to have found a place to use them.  I still have more cutting, sewing and pressing to do!




 I finished binding the comfort quilt I showed last week on my blog.  I used cut offs from the backing for the binding but was a little bit short so I added in a piece of red to make the binding go all the way around the quilt.  You can see that I used the three extra blocks on the back to stretch the backing fabric to fit the quilt. 



Sorry about the weird angle for the picture of the quilt...my quilt holder was not home!

A group of friends are participating in our own little UFO challenge for 2022.  My February UFO is my Lupine quilt.  I need to finished piecing the quilt, embroider the label, piece the backing and take it to the long arm quilters. The top is finished now, thanks to a Zoom sewing day with Carol on Thursday.  I have no place big enough to lay out the entire top so here is a peek. 


At the online QuiltCon Together 2021, I took a class on embroidering quilt labels.  I started to make a label for this quilt during the class and then promptly put it away.  I went searching today and found the label and got busy adding more embroidery.  It's not done yet, but I will work on it this week and hopefully get the backing for my lupin quilt put together once I have finished the embroidery.  This is my slow stitching project for this week. 


My husband and I celebrated my birthday this week with a hike in the woods at a local wildlife management area. 




While our daughter was watching olympic curling this week, Finn did his best impression of a curling rock. Yes--that's my daughter's mitten in Finn's bed...he likes to play with them, but he doesn't chew them. 

My husband and I have been working on this puzzle for a few weeks now and we finally finished putting it together this week.  You can see why I chose it.  Before you ask, NO, I will not be making a quilt like this!  The puzzle was challenging but fun to make. 


I will link up with Kathy and the other Slow Stitchers in the morning. 

11 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that was a puzzle until I read further I kind of look at all the photos first then go back and read and I was thinking how the heck did she make that LOL pretty isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty blue and white Shweshwe blue and whites. Good thing you bought them when you could. I was just watching curling, and Finn is curled up like a curling ‘rock.’ Wow, that’s a hard puzzle you completed. Funny, I’m working on one, but not as hard as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That puzzle would make a fantastic quilt! You know you want to make one. =) Your Lupine quilt is looking lovely; love the pretty embroidery on the label. Happy Birthday to you! It looks as if you enjoyed the best day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that puzzle. I like your embroidered quilt label. Finn looks quite cozy. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Gail!
    Your embroidered label is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday week Gail! Love your hst's and hope you enjoy what they make as it sounds a bit like a mystery :) I love your finished comfort quilt... I love Finn enjoying some snuggle time in this cool time of year.. ok cold! lol The round puzzle is cute but looks quite challenging to put together too! I can't wait to see your finished Lupine quilt and label... embroidered labels are a luxury I usually don't indulge in but hope to do more of as time goes on! I love embroidery but rarely can get myself organized with that craft enough to finish something! lol Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you could join in the Virtual Sew Day! We enjoyed seeing your indigo fabrics and your progress on your top. Happy Birthday! Finn is adorable, and your snow photos are lovely. Great days to stay in and sew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to you! Your hike looks like it was a beautiful spot. Your comfort quilt is beautiful, too - a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Your hike looks like it was a great one. That comfort quilt was a great finish. I love the look of your lupin quilt label! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Those blue fabrics are gorgeous! I look forward to seeing your quilt inspired by that puzzle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some of those lovely indigos...and next winter they will be one of my projects. Your label is fabulous and it will be so wonderful to see that quilt done. Labels mean you are getting close!

    ReplyDelete