Saturday, June 11, 2022

Blue Scraps, a Baby Quilt and Rughooking

This past week flew by but I did manage to find a bit of time to spend in my sewing room.  I made two sets of selvage blocks for the rainbow scrap challenge this month --navy and bright blue. It's so much easier to make these blocks now that my selvages are all sorted by colour. 



I quilted this baby quilt for our church Christmas bazaar--the fabrics were all donated to the sewing group--I added the blue fabric squares from my stash as well as the light blue and white striped binding. The sailor fabric has a piece of red and white striped fabric added in to make it big enough. 







Christine and I took a beginners rug hooking class today.  We sat under a tree in the park for this class.  The teachers were members of a local rug hooking guild and shared lots of their projects and knowledge with us as we worked on our projects. The fee for the class included all of the supplies necessary to make a small rug with a sheep on it. It was my first in person class since before the pandemic and we had the perfect day to get together outside. We started by outlining the sky with light blue.


Next, we tackled the sun--curved lines are hard but I hear they get smoother with practice! 

The eyes and face of the sheep were done after the sun. 

Then, I started outlining the sheep's body and filling it in. 





I bought a hook so that I can finish my project at home.  I already had a large hoop at home that I have used for quilting but it will work for rug hooking too. I had fun trying something new--I won't be joining a rug hooking guild any time soon as I have lots of other hobbies on the go besides quilting...reading (I belong to two book clubs), cross stitching, knitting (still working on the whale face cloth!), genealogy, gardening, etc.  

We went to visit Finn and our daughter last weekend. We did some shopping, sight seeing and hiking. Finn was quite tired by the end of the day in the woods!




The day lilies and peonies in our garden are in bloom!



I will link up with Kathy on Sunday morning for Slow Sunday Stitching and with Angela for the RSC today. 

9 comments:

  1. Thsts a lovely baby quilt you are donating. Rug hooking, sounds interesting, is it hard on your fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rug hooking looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday I will attempt rug hooking. I always like to try new crafts. That baby quilt is very pretty. How nice that you had a fun, busy visit with your daughter. Finn looks happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I want to sit under a tree, in the park and learn to hook a rug. =) How fun. You are a busy, busy lady. There are never enough hours in a day, are there?? The baby quilt is adorable. Fabulous fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby quilt is lovely. Sounds like you had a lot of fun during the craft class in the park and also visiting Finn.
    Have a great week, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the red, white, blue baby sailor quilt. Hopefully, it will catch a nice price. Oh my, another hand needlework skill. The sheep is darling and what fun to have been outside. It will be a good finished project. Peonies smell the best. I missed mine blooming while we were away. Genealogy is also one of my interests, but alas it has taken a back seat. Finn must love it when you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finish on the baby quilt! I love nautical fabrics. Lovely flowers too. My peonies bloomed last month. What a fun rug hooking project! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rug hooking looks like lot's of fun. Finn is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever done punch needle? It seems similar to rug hooking but using floss instead of wool strips. I'd love to take a class in either. An outdoor class sounds HEAVENLY! Great job on the baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete