Saturday, September 10, 2022

Light Blue RSC, Knitting and some Quilt Top Progress

I dug into my light blue scraps this week and got a start on my drunkard's path blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Some of these fabrics have been hanging around in my sewing room for many years!  I used the dog fabric in the top left block to make a quilt for a colleague's new baby in 2003.  


I sewed about half of my whistle stop quilt top together one afternoon this week. It is not pressed yet...


I started a new quilt for the church Christmas bazaar as well this week. This is a stack and whack quilt made with squares instead of triangles.  I will use these blocks to make a small lap quilt.  The fabric is designed by Kaffe Fassett.  I like how each set of squares makes a unique block. 



Our Slow Sunday Stitching leader, Kathy.  refers to her collection of sewing machines as her "herd".  Using her language, I added a machine to my "herd" this week.  This is a Spartan machine--it only sews straight. Singer made these machines as a stripped-down, budget version of the 99K in the 50's and 60's.  I have had it tuned up by a quilting friend's husband and it is in working order. I can't wait to take it for a spin!


I did one more repeat of the pattern in my knitted cloth this week.  I did not have a lot of time to knit this past week, but every little bit counts, right?


We had a second morning dove nest in our hanging basket on the front porch.  The two babies have now left the nest.  I expect we will see them and their parents hanging around in our gardens before they fly away for good.  


Finn was out for a walk one day this week and decided this particular patch of grass looked very inviting. 


The Autumn Joy Clematis plants are in bloom right now.  Such dainty flowers!

My Gentian plant is also in bloom--such vibrant colour!


Like people all around the world, we are remembering the life and service of Queen Elizabeth this week. 


The plate below commemorates the 1939 Royal Visit to Canada by the Queen's parents.  This plate belonged to my Grandmother. Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret did not join their parents for this trip to Canada but their pictures are on the rim of the plate. 




I will link up with the RSC group as well as the slow Sunday stitchers.  

9 comments:

  1. Great projects. I love the Drunkard's Path blocks. That Gentian plant is beautiful, and just my color! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice addition to your herd. Great blocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those drunkards path blocks are wonderful! How exciting - a new machine to play with. It is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lith blue drunkards patch block are pretty. Have fun with the new machine, Gail. Spartan is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stack and whack blocks are really amazing! They're going to make a fun quilt. You had quite a view of those baby birds! Love seeing your memorabilia from the King's visit way back then - it has been interesting to read and learn so much about the royal family this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have those royal plates. I can remember the Queen coming out to New Zealand in 1953 and all our school lined up in the street to wave our little flags as the cars drove past. I was 8 at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely addition to your "herd". Bet it will hum right along. My LQS calls the stack 'n' whack using 4 squares a 4-Patch Posey. I love how yours pieced up -- pretty! Gorgeous flowers in your garden and Finn is a smart guy, resting when needed. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made a couple of 4-patch posie blocks and they are such fun! I've never heard of that machine. I always enjoy seiwng on my little feather weight. Nice knitting pattern and how sweet are those little doves?? what a treat. Pretty flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The color of that Gentian plant is magnificent. I love the stack and whack blocks that you are making. I have fabrics from the 1980s so that 2003 fabric seems young to me. I love all of your projects. Your commemorative plate, cup and saucer are very pretty. A nice remembrance of a long-serving monarch.

    ReplyDelete