Saturday, October 8, 2022

After 2 Years, Lupines is done!

I have been working on my Lupines quilt off and on for over two years.  The pattern is from the book "Quilts of Iceland" by Gudrun Erla.  I bought the book at QuiltCon in Nashville in 2019.  My husband and I went to Iceland for two weeks in 2014 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and the lupines were in bloom while we were there.  Apparently, they are not a flower which is native to Iceland but were introduced from somewhere else.  They now grow all over Iceland and when in bloom, everything is purple!  Fast forward to our 30th Anniversary trip to Scotland in 2019 where I bought some fabric in a quilt store in Inverness--two of the fat quarters I bought ended up in this quilt.  In 2021, I attended the virtual QuiltCon during the pandemic.  I took a class in embroidered quilt labels and made the label for this quilt as my class project. 



The quilt is queen sized and will take its turn on our bed.  I spent quite a bit of time this past week sewing the binding down by hand.  I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

Christine and I got together to sew for a couple of hours and I started working on my scrappy Drunkard's Path blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. As you can see, the October colour is light/lime green. 


Finn and our daughter are home for Thanksgiving this weekend. Today, we went on a hike in the woods at Pinery Provincial Park.  It was a beautiful day for a walk and we wore Finn out completely.  He has been snoozing on the floor for most of the evening. One of the trails we walked took us out to a platform overlooking Lake Huron.  Most of the trees at the Pinery are oaks and white pines so there was not a lot of brilliant fall colour.  






Happy Thanksgiving to all of the Canadians!  

13 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiven for you and your family, Gail.
    Your Lupines quilt is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lupine quilt is gorgeous, Gail! Congratulations on finishing it! Looks like you found a beautiful place to hike with your daughter and Finn, too. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! I love the lupine quilt. How wonderful that you have memories from your trips woven into it. Your hike has some pretty views. Enjoy your visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Lupines and the wonderful meaning of the connection to memories. I miss them as they grow wild in abundance in Newfoundland and I've tried to grow them in my gardens here with no luck. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Your lupine quilt turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving! Love you lupine quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! I love your quilt and I love lupines! My daughter and I tried to grow them here in southern Michigan without much success. I think they needed more sun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy thanksgiving Gail! Lovely to have your daughter and Finn home. Your lupin quit is gorgeous and I love the memories attached to it. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
    Congratulations on finishing the lupin quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Lupine quilt is gorgeous! And what a great experience - lupines in Iceland! I love Drunkard’s Path and am working on one myself. I’ve never seen one done like you are doing. Awesome!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Your lupines quilt is gorgeous! I continue to love the Drunkard's Path blocks! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your beautiful quilt is so pretty, and a great reminder of your anniversary trip to Iceland. We have wild lupine which bloom here on the South Island, although I've never been there at the right time, we live in the North Island of New Zealand. I believe that these are introduced flowers and make a spectacular show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your Lupine quilt!!! They are not native to Minnesota, either, but our neighbor planted some and I've heard they spread like wildfire! I've heard they've been planted in northern MN, too. Such great memories of your trips!

    ReplyDelete