Saturday, May 6, 2023

Resurrecting an Old UFO


Back in October of 2014, I took a class called "Overlapping Tiles" with Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Malby.    At the end of the day, I rolled up my project in a piece of flannel design wall, gathered up my fabrics and put all of it in a bin, never to even look at it again until this past Monday. I knew it was in my sewing room because every so often, I would move the bin around, always thinking that I should get back to this project and get it done.  The last time I moved the bin, I remembered that I originally wanted to make a queen sized quilt for our bed, and decided that maybe a lap quilt would be big enough. I really just wanted to get it put together and be able to put the fabrics in the bin back into my stash.  This past Monday, I brought the bin with me to the weekly Oxford Quilter's Guild sewing day. I unrolled the design wall and found lots of very wrinkly squares.  I sorted out my fabrics and decided I needed to add another column of  tiles to the right side of the quilt.  I cut out some more squares and ended up with what you see in the picture below. 


Here is a picture of the squares rolled up in the design wall. 


I fiddled around with colour placement before lunch and then after lunch, I started sewing.  I got this far before it was time to pack up and go home.  The constant fabric is a very old Kaffe fabric.  The section that is sewn looks so much better now that the squares are not all crumpled up!


I hope to finish getting this put together at our next sewing day after the quilt show this coming week. 

I added more stitches to the sunflower cross stitch project.  This pattern is from Satsuma Street.  As you can see, I am almost finished the centre sunflower.  


Finn provided support as I added sleeves to two more quilts this week.  Only one more to go and it will get done tomorrow.  The quilt show is next Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  I will be at the show on Friday and Saturday. 


We had a lot of rain this past week and they do say that April showers will bring May flowers...  These mini tulips are really pretty...my favourites in the garden. 


Bleeding hearts are blooming their hearts out!!!



My MIL picked out this Columbine for our garden.  


Finn had his very first Puppuccino today.  He liked it, a lot!


Finn thought these hamburger buns looked good enough to eat...fortunately, he was not tall enough to get them off the plate and we were able to eat them with the hamburgers that were cooking on the BBQ. 


We took Finn for a walk at the park tonight after supper and these two geese were hanging out at one end of the lake.  I have a feeling that there will be lots of goslings sometime soon. 



I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning, although I am going to have to sew fast to get the last sleeve on the quilt for the quilt show. 

11 comments:

  1. love the geese and that quilt top you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty park in which to walk. Your lovely sunflower cross stitch is bright and cheery; as are your gorgeous spring flowers that are blooming. My that tulip is a beauty. Lucky you to have taken a class with Kaffe Fassett. Did you enjoy it? 'Tis good your Overlapping Tiles is seeing the light of day again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some lovely projects there! Have fun at the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overlapping tiles is a neat design! Looks like the perfect project for your sew day. Love seeing your flowers blooming and cute Finn with his puppicino, too! Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you are getting around to finishing that pretty quilt. The part that is sewn and ironed looks wonderful. Only one more sleeve to sew on. Yay! I look forward to seeing photos of the quilt show. I am glad Finn liked his puppicino. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these little squares, and the quilt you are making with them! Good to have unroll the design wall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you to pull that Kaffe WIP back out and move it along! It's a beaut and looks like a perfect quilt to have ready for when summer starts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great you pulled that WIP out. I recently finished the top of one even older, an apple core dating back to the 1990s! Love your sunflower, and Finn is his usual adorable self. Love the flower pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lap quilt will be wonderful. I have projects that I have put away for ages and every now and then get one out to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Early Kaffe fabrics will make for a colorful lap quilt. It’ll go fast now that you are back on track. Enjoy the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The overlapping tiles demanded attention after all this time, I'm working on a long forgotten project which has done that too! Your photos of the geese are stunning!

    ReplyDelete