Some projects are quick to make and others aren't. I made these blocks in 2023 as one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects. The quilt top was completed in January 2024. Then it sat in the to be quilted pile as I pondered how to quilt it. It kept telling me it wanted to be hand quilted so I finally relented, and started hand quilting it last fall. I took a break from it for a while and then finished it in the Spring/Early Summer of this year. I searched high and low through my stash for an appropriate fabric for the binding and had nothing. I really wanted to use the grey background fabric as the binding so searched on the Internet to see if I could find some in a Canadian Store. I found it and finally picked it up this past week. It was a priority this week to get the binding made and sewn down. Now, this quilt is ready to be displayed on the wall!
I also added more stitches to my fall cross stitch, finishing off a leaf I started last week and making good progress on the bird. There is one more leaf to add below the branch in this section before moving along to the left.
Christine and I attend a couple of the Crafter's Retreats at Camp Kintail each year. The camp is run by the Presbyterian Church and has a fundraising auction each fall. I usually donate and item for the auction and, this year, decided to donate a lap quilt. Today was Jelly Roll Day at the Oxford Guild so I got busy sewing. I had all of the cutting done for these blocks earlier in the week. I made 20 blocks and will add navy blue sashing before quilting it with my walking foot. I need to have this done very soon so it will likely be my focus for the next little while. The colourful fabrics are grunge and the navy was in my stash....I think it was leftover from a quilt back.
I am also making a donation quilt for a fundraising raffle at the nursing home where my MIL lives. I've got a good start on this one and hope to have it done by the end of October. The fabrics all came from my batik bin. I have been trying to use up my batiks for a while and was happy to find enough co-ordinating fabrics in the bin to make this quilt. Both of these donation quilts will end up being lap sized.
The Oxford Guild makes Quilts of Valour and handed out strips of fabric at our September meeting to make 16 patches. They supplied with teal fabric and I added the other two fabrics to make four 16 patch blocks.
The butterfly weed in my front garden is creating lots of fluffy seeds to spread around the neighbourhood.
The sedum is in bloom now that gardening season is winding down.
I will link up with Kathy, Angela and Frederique.
your pineapple quilt is outstanding!!!
ReplyDeleteyour blog is a breath of fresh air each Sunday - thank you for posting.
You have been busy. Your pineapple quilt is lovely and well worth the time and effort hand quilting it! Your two charity quilts are looking good. You always choose such nice fabric. Sarah quiltingbythesea
ReplyDeleteI love that pineapple quilt. Such pretty fabrics. I am glad you finally finished it. Your donation quilts are pretty. I especially like the second one. Those batiks are so pretty together. I like the fabrics you used with the teal in those blocks. That will be a pretty Quilt of Valor. Enjoy your stitching! Finn looks quite content.
ReplyDeleteThe pineapple quilt makes a beautiful finish, Gail! I love all the color, and the texture that the hand quilting creates. The jelly roll blocks are fun - love the woven effect. I think Finn is telling us he is not ever getting off the new bed!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your lovely quilt finish and have fun with those new projects!
ReplyDeleteI love the pineapple quilt with the gray used with the bright colors it makes the colors stand out really good.
ReplyDeleteI do like the woven design you are stitching. Seems simpe, but very effective, guess you just have to keep the pieces in the right order. The pineapple quilt looks wonderful with your hand quilting. It's always so nice to have a finished UFO.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous finish for your Pineapple quilt. I think you were very lucky to find the binding fabric. Usually once it's gone -- it's gone! You are definitely going to be busy with the donation quilts. Such variety!
ReplyDeleteThe pineapple quilt is beautiful. Great finish!
ReplyDeleteYour pineapple quilt is so lovely. I still haven't made one, but you are inspiring me!
ReplyDeleteYour Pineapple quilt is just beautiful! I know what you mean about some projects being quick and other not so much. I have one that's in the works for longer than I wish to put in print. I believe that all of the blocks are made I just need to put it together! Agh.
ReplyDelete