Thursday, May 26, 2011

What's New in My Neck of the Woods?

My computer has been on the fritz for the last few days so I have not been able to download any pictures from my camera...hence, no blogging!  My husband got everything back up and running again, so I am back in business.

Last week, the Elgin Piecemakers met and we had a great show and tell. Here are the churn dash blocks that we all made for this month's charity quilt. There are still a few blocks to be handed in  so there should be at least 12 for this quilt.
Heather and her partner put the Tennessee blocks together into this quilt top for a chemo patient at our hospital. It still has to be quilted. This should brighten someone's day!
This red and white quilt is now completed and ready to donate. I made the middle block in the bottom row.

There are more quilts in progress and I will post pictures after our June meeting.

Here are some more show and tell quilts... Doesn't this one look like stained glass with the light shining through from the window behind it?
The baby quilt above is a gift for a new baby girl and has a nice soft flannel back.


Chris made this black and white bag with pockets inside.


Pat has been hard at work on her Indian Orange Peel quilt. She has the centre finished and is working on the paper pieced sections for the border.   Spectacular!

This past weekend, we spent the weekend at the Tulip Festival in Ottawa. If you click on the link, you can read about why there are so many tulips in Ottawa. There was a tent set up with a quilting frame for people to add a few stitches to this tulip quilt.



The tulip festival area was decorated with lots of tulips that had been painted with various themes. This one is called the Friendship Quilt Tulip.
There were tulips made from Lego!
We even saw some real tulips in many different colours.
It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day to spend outside. We have not had very many sunny days lately. The weather person on the radio reported that we have had 20 days in May with rain so far this year.

On our way to Ottawa, we stopped in Belleville at "Fun with Stitches" (link in sidebar)--one of my favourite quilt shops, where I bought fabric to make my MIL and FIL pillowcases for their birthdays. My MIL likes sheep so here is here pillowcase which I made last night.
My FIL grew up on a farm and his pillowcase features barnboard fabric and farm animals.

Today, I went to the Quilts of the Netherlands show in Ailsa Craig with my friend Karen after work. I forgot to bring my camera so there are no pictures of the quilts to share. (Sorry!)  I bought 5 Dutch fabric FQ's though so here they are...
I love the chicken fabric!  There were many beautiful quilts at this show which is on until Saturday. If you are in the area, it is well worth the trip to Ailsa Craig. Karen and I  also went to a lecture tonight about Dutch culture, quilts and how the scenery in Holland influences the quilt designs.

This Saturday, I will be going to the Canadian Quilter's Association show in London, Ontario for the day. Is there such a thing as too many quilt shows???  I don't think so!!! 

2 comments:

  1. I lke churn dash blocks. Of all the traditional blocks I've tried that is my favourite I think. I also like the look of that orange peel quilt. The colours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came home today from the show. It was great!

    ReplyDelete