Thursday, July 4, 2013

Slabs for Calgary

Cheryl at Dining Room Empire lives in Calgary and is a co-author of "Sunday Morning Quilts".
She has seen the devastation of the recent floods in Calgary and other parts of Southern Alberta in person and has been moved to make quilts for people who have been affected by the floods. She has asked quilters to make a slab, (or two or three or more!), and mail them to her. She has recruited a small army of friends who sew to put the quilts together so that they can be given to people who need to know that we are all thinking about them as they try to put their lives back together.



I would like to encourage all of my readers to make a slab and mail it to Cheryl. If you know me personally and live nearby, you can drop off your slabs at my house and I will mail one package with all of the slabs in it. If you don't know me personally, you can mail your slabs to Cheryl yourself--just e-mail her (the e-mail link is on her blog) and she will send you her address.

Just pick a colour, gather up some scraps and make a slab for Calgary!  I picked orange and used a piece of white fabric with some daisies on it and lots of scraps to make my slab. It only took 30 minutes and I was all done!  The finished slabs should measure 15.5" square. You can find the instructions on Cheryl's blog. (The link is in the first paragraph of this post.)

 
Cheryl would like to receive all the slabs by the end of this month so that the quilts can be assembled, quilted and delivered as soon as possible.
 
Won't you join me in making a slab?  (I think I am going to make a few more!)
 
The people affected by the floods need some love.
 

3 comments:

  1. Our nephew, niece and 3 sons were evacuated from their home in High River on June 20. The water filled their entire, finished basement and the sunken living room on the main floor. They think the house will need to be torn down. No flood insurance in Alberta. I'd love to make some slabs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Love the fabric you chose for the white spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got 9 finished today and they are all packaged up and ready for the post in the morning :o) Love your bright orange block...lovely and cheery!!

    ReplyDelete