Monday, September 30, 2013

The Pincushions of the Beaver Island Quilt Retreat

I am back from BIQR and I had a fabulous time!  My week away went by way too quickly, as all holidays do...  Gwen Marston was full of wit and wisdom which she lavishly shared with all of us throughout the week.

The weather was perfect--sunny and warm. We had a great view of Elk Lake from the room where we were sewing.



This is the first of several posts about my time at BIQR 2013. Today, I would like to show you some of the interesting pincushions of BIQR. I did several tours around the sewing room admiring other people's projects and came across some unique pincushions, which I had to photograph, of course!

 
This one was purchased at Crate and Barrel--it is not really a pincushion, but some sort of decoration that the owner is using as a pincushion.
 
I thought it looked like a hedgehog!
 
J's husband brought this one back from a trip he took.

 
The base part is made from a small wooden bowl.
 
This little wool house was used by a quilter who actually sewed something with those little pieces in the bag beside the pincushion!
 
Everyone needs a cup of tea and a grasshopper pincushion!
 
 
I liked the leaf pins in this pincushion.  It was attached to a scrap catcher.
 
This one matched the fabrics that this quilter was using.
 
 
 Deb and Kathy brought some cute mug rugs that a friend made for them. Here are their pincushions:
 
 
 
Stay tuned for more posts including pictures of Gwen and her quilts and some of the quilts that were made at the retreat.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. How fortunate that you were at a Gwen Marsten quilt retreat on the beautiful Beaver Island. I've always wondered what it was like to attend one of her retreats. I look forward to your other posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete