Sunday, January 5, 2014

Squirrels and Quilt Blocks

Last Spring, I saw an article in the National Post newspaper about a lady in Nova Scotia who takes pictures of squirrels in her backyard. She had produced a calendar of photos she had taken of the squirrels posing with various props on her deck. I thought the pictures were cute and tucked the idea of the calendar as a Christmas gift away in the back of my head.  Fast forward to this past December when I got on the internet and tried to find the squirrel calendar lady (I had forgotten her name!). I found her and e-mailed to ask if the calendars were available this year. Nancy Rose soon got back to me and I ordered 3 calendars to give to my friends and my daughter. We chatted back and forth a few times by e-mail and I told her I was a quilter. I found out that Nancy has also dabbled in quilting! I asked if she would like to borrow one of my mini quilts for a photo shoot with her squirrel friends. She said "YES!"  I mailed the mini quilt to her and she sent me one of the pictures--I am using it here with her permission.  Please do not copy it.


 You can see more of Nancy's pictures on her Flickr page.  If you would like to get a calendar for yourself or one of your squirrelly friends or relatives, you can e-mail Nancy at nancy.rose@gmail.com.  My friends and daughter love their calendars!  By the way, Nancy made that little sewing machine herself out of modelling clay!  She is a very talented lady on many fronts!

This afternoon, my husband was out so I thought I would do a little sewing. I was having trouble channelling my quilting mojo so I decided to work on a couple of chemo quilt blocks for the Elgin Piecemakers charity quilts. The colours for January are violet, orange and green.  Here is my liberated star block:


I also did February's block in pink, green and white. I am not sure of the name of this block.

By then, I was on a roll so I did March's block. We are doing slab blocks in March--each person will do a slab in a different colour. I am going to bring mine in to January's meeting to show people how to make a slab. We will assign colours then since I am not the only one who likes to work ahead and get a few blocks done at a time.


Here is my first stash report of the year:

Fabric used in the last week: .7 yards
Total fabric used this year: .7 yards
Fabric added to the stash in the last week: zero!
Total fabric added this year: zero!
Net fabric used this year: .7 yards

Have a great week!  With any luck, there might be another post this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment