Sunday, May 22, 2016

Flannel Scraps

In an effort to clean up my fabric storage area, I went through all of my flannel fabrics and sorted them into scraps, yardage and larger pieces bigger than a fat quarter but smaller than a yard.  The larger pieces and yardage were folded neatly and stored in two bins--neatly labelled and easily accessible.  That left me with two plastic containers of scraps.  I decided to sort the scraps in to two piles--brighter colours and duller colours.  The picture above is one of the bins..."duller" scraps.  Last year, I made a scrap vortex quilt with some of my scraps--I used up lots of scraps but did not make much of a dent in the scrap pile. This year, I am making a flannel scrap vortex quilt...

I keep the bin of scraps by my sewing machine and in between sewing other stuff together, I grab two pieces of flannel and use them as a leader/ender.  Today, I had 30 minutes to spare, so I went downstairs and sewed a bunch of twosies...

This is the pile behind the sewing machine when I stopped sewing.  It looked better once I had them cut apart and in a pile on the cutting board for pressing.

Better still once they were pressed...

There are always lots of memories in a scrap quilt... the animal print is leftover from a pair of PJ's I made for my niece one year for her birthday.

Here are some of the bits I sewed together earlier this week. 

They are all pressed and ready to sew to each other...

I am hoping to use up all of the dull flannel scraps in my collection in this quilt.  I am hoping for a good sized lap quilt by the time all is said and done.

I even had a few leftover flying geese that made it into this project.  Some of these pieces need to be trimmed before they can be sewn together.  I can do this in short snippets of time over the next week or two.  This should be a very warm and cozy quilt.  I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet, but at least some of the flannel scraps will be tamed!

More blooms in my garden this week...



3 comments:

  1. I've been really into scrap quilting myself this year. It feels good to be able to use up every last bit of fabric. This will be a lovely and snuggly quilt when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the pictures of the fabrics I hought; "how dull!!", but I am wrong. Your blocks are beautiful together. So are the booms in your garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The addition of the flying geese will be a nice surprise in your vortex quilt! Thank you for sharing the blooms from your garden, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete