Sunday, May 21, 2017

Canada Pillows and Cross Stitch

I made the Canada Flag pillow in my header photo for one of my nieces for Christmas.  She is off to university in the fall and this pillow will be used to decorate her dorm room.  My daughter and I both decided that we need Canada flag pillows to to help celebrate Canada's 150th birthday this year. When Christine and I got together to sew this week, I worked on the pillows. This one is for my daughter.  I tried to pick fabrics that would mean something to her...she wears glasses and lives in a place where there is lots of snow in the winter, tulips in the spring and many places to ride a bike.



Here is a close up of some of the fabrics.

This one will be my pillow.

Again, the fabrics have some personal meaning for me.  Do you see the fishing bobbers?  I used to go fishing with my dad and my brother when I was little.  I remember catching lots of sunfish and then letting them swim away.



While looking for something in my sewing room, I found this old Cross Stitch UFO.  I decided to work on it this summer for one of my slow stitching projects.  I will need to enlarge the pattern so that I can see it better....


There are 4 snowmen in the finished picture so I am half way there.

On my way to work this week, I stopped to take another picture of a barn quilt. I love seeing these on the drive.


My garden is bursting with new growth with the warm weather we have been having. My husband and I spent the day in the backyard yesterday, doing spring chores.  We will be working on it again on Monday.


The lilacs are beautiful and smell like spring.

 I will be linking up with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Take a look at what everyone is up to today.  There is always lots of fun inspiration to be had!

10 comments:

  1. Great pillows! I have a hard time seeing those cross stitch and beading charts now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pillows! I hope you enjoy your snowman stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those pillows! They look great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Canada pillows! Your cross stitching is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your pillow design very much. Definitely recognizeable as Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love lilacs...my are just starting to leaf out...will be a bit before flowers show up!I have a cross stitch pattern I should be working on too before I can't see well enough to finish it...getting older sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pillows are so pretty. I love that you personalized them. The cross-stitch is cute. I will enjoy watching it grow. Your flowers are great and I would love to see a barn quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pillows. Do you have a Canada Day Leaf stencil? Yes, love the spring bursts of flowers and the newly harrowed and planted farmers fields. Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Canada 150 pillows are great, doubly so when you understand the meaning of the fabrics that you used. Those snowmen are pretty adorable too!

    ReplyDelete