Sunday, March 17, 2019

National Quilting Day!

What a great excuse to start a new project!  Yesterday was National Quilting Day and the London Modern Quilt Guild organized a sewing day to celebrate.


About 15 of us sewed our hearts out all day long, breaking briefly for lunch mid-day.  A couple of weeks ago at the Elgin Piecemaker's sewing day, I noticed that two of our members were working on Tula Pink's 100 blocks quilts.  I bought that book a few years ago and never made the quilt so I decided it would become my next bed sized quilting adventure.  I decided to use my extensive collection of black and white fabrics along with three pieces of Zuma fabric I purchased at QuiltCon in Nashville as accent colours.


I made 4 blocks at home last week, just to kick off this project and then at the sewing day, I made 14 more blocks...


Some blocks will just be black and white.


I really like that scissor fabric.


The sewing machines are fun too.


More scissors!


Black and white with a pop of colour.


As I finish each block, I am writing the date in the book so I know which blocks I have made.


My daughter speaks French.


I have three fat quarters of the Zuma prints which have an ombre feel.



My husband's grandfather was a beekeeper.



This window fabric has appeared in a few of my projects!


How about some cute little owls?


Each block is 6.5" square.


The two blues in this block both came from the same fat quarter as did the yellow and pink squares below.



The pattern called for a coloured border around the above block as well, but I decided the big square in the middle was enough.


The bird fabric has many fussy cutting possibilities.


The first 6 blocks, grew to 8...


and then to 18!


Only 82 more to go!

Spring arrived in my garden today.  My witch hazel is in bloom.


8 comments:

  1. Ah, another 100 block quilt on the go :-). I need to cut some more out since I sewed up all my little kits :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops..hit send too soon! Like it with the black and white with a pop of colour. Our quilts and Ann's and Pat's are going to look very different. We need to submit them all to the Shedden show next year! There's our deadline LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As fast as you are making these blocks, they will be done in no time. I really like your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wee! how fun are these? love the pops of color with the B&W. I had no idea that is how witch hazels looked. Do you use it in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I going to love this quilt! Isn't it a fun one?.... especially when you use such wonderful fabrics 😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Your Tula quilt is going to be fabulous! Will enjoy watching it grow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous sampler blocks! Love your fabrics and how you are working with them!
    That witch hazel bloom is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete