Friday, March 8, 2019

QuiltCon 2019. #3

I've been home from Nashville for over a week now and I still find myself thinking about and remembering all of the fun I had at QuiltCon.  When we arrived in Nashville, we went to the Tennessee State Museum to see this exhibit:
 

There were lots of other conference attendees enjoying the quilts as well.  One of the quilts on display was this basket quilt made by Samantha Pack.


Here is a close up of one of the baskets:


As you can see, this quilt was rather intensively hand quilted.  The local modern guilds used this quilt as inspiration for their Charity Quilt.



Every modern guild was invited to make a charity quilt using small pieces and a certain colour way.  The quilts were all on display at QuiltCon, in the hall outside the show and along the outer walls of the show as well.  The basket inspired quilt will be on display at the museum with the original quilt after QuiltCon.


Of course, the charity quilt that I noticed right away was inspired by a Frank Lloyd Wright window. It was made by the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild. They called it "Transparency Parade".


The quilt below was made by the Greenville Modern Quilt Guild (Greenville, South Carolina).  It was called "Zoomville".


For quite a while, I have been following Paige Alexander's blog, "Quilted Blooms".  I have commented on her blog and she has commented on mine and we have had several conversations by email over several months.  Paige belongs to the Greenville MQG and she made the little pink building with the plus sign on it in the upper right quadrant of the quilt.  You may wonder how I know this...

 
Paige and I had been in touch before QuiltCon and exchanged phone numbers so that we could meet up during the show.  Here is Paige (almost) pointing at her contribution to the Charity Quilt.


Paige is the co-author of "Modern Plus Sign Quilts" and we arranged to meet at the end of her book signing time at the publisher's booth at the show.  After her signing duties were complete, she gave us a tour of the quilts that she had entered in the show.


Of course, Christine, Paige and I had to get our picture taken with her prize winning quilts. This Transparency Plus Sign quilt came in 2nd in the Michael Miller fabric challenge category.


Her second quilt in the show, "Double Crossed" came in first in the two colour quilt category.  What a thrill for Paige to win two ribbons at QuiltCon!





I learned that Paige's paid employment involves lots of numbers so the plus sign theme for her quilts and book is very appropriate!  I did not get a close up picture of the quilt above but there are tiny fussy cut plus signs at each intersection. What a fun detail! 

You can find the link to Paige's blog, "Quilted Blooms" in my sidebar. 

I have made a quilt from "Modern Plus Sign Quilts" and it is in line to be quilted.  I hope to finish it soon. 

There will be more posts from QuiltCon in the next week or so. 



       

3 comments:

  1. What fun for both of you! Paige got the opportunity to share her quilts in person with an online friend and you got to meet you quite successful friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that must have been nice to be able to meet up and meet. I have done that at times too and it is always fun. What wonderful quilts - I will check her blog out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, it was great meeting you and Christine, especially, after we had been emailing back and forth. Ya'll are the sweetest!
    I hate I missed the exhibit at the museum. The basket charity quilt was one of my favorites. Can't wait to see the quilt in the works!

    ReplyDelete