Sunday, June 23, 2019

Slow Stitching

Today is the 7th anniversary of Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching Link up!  She has been inspiring me and many others to slow down and work on a handwork project with each and every link up!  Kathy has asked us to share our favourite handwork project on our blogs today ---But first, I want to show you my slow progress on the Waterlilies Frank Lloyd Wright cross stitch I have been working on.  I added some more outlining this past week as well as some more cross stitching in the upper right corner. 


When we went to Nashville for QuiltCon earlier this year, we visited the Tennessee State Museum and I purchased this print in the gift shop.  I finally had it framed and it is now hanging on the wall.  It gives a whole new meaning to "Barn Quilt".  (I took the picture on the floor as there was too much glare when it was on the wall.)


My husband and I dated for a few years before we got married and for most of that time, we lived in separate cities.  I spent many weekends taking the train to where his family lived so that we could see each other.  One summer, on the train, I spent my time working on a counted cross stitch picture, which is framed and still hangs on the wall in our guest room.  This was a kit purchased at a house party, somewhat like a Tupperware party, but for craft kits.


I seemed to be attracted to quilt themed cross stitch patterns years ago...  The next one was a purchased pattern and took over a year to make. This one is hanging in our family room.


One of my early cross stitch pictures is on the wall in my sewing room.  No quilt in this one, but there is an old treadle sewing machine.  I have my grandmother's treadle sewing machine in my dining room.


I made several other pictures as well, many of which were given away as gifts.  My daughter and each of my twin nieces have counted cross stitch Christmas stockings as well.  


Finn is enjoying the longer summer evenings and going for walks.


My honeysuckle started blooming this week.  The major garden projects are done and now we just have to do maintenance jobs for the summer.  I'm looking forward to slow stitching in the gazebo sometime soon.

9 comments:

  1. I have 2 stitcheries hanging in my quilt room that I bought at home parties more than 30 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That line of quilts cross stitch is beautiful! Great progress on Frank again this week. Beautiful honeysuckle... I can almost smell it from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing your beautiful cross stitch projects with us.
    The quilts hanging on the line is my favourite!
    Enjoy some stitching time this week in the gazebo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your cross-stitch pieces. FLW is really coming to life. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cross stitch projects you have worked on over the years with nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cross stitch pieces are beautiful. I especially love the one with the quilts hanging on the line. The quilt barn picture is a beauty, isn't it. Thank you for sharing your lovely handwork. May you have a beautiful week, finding some moments to hand stitch in that gazebo of yours. Stitching and looking at your beautiful garden must be a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the framed barn quilt....that is one cool print!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing all your work. Cross stitch is such a wonderful stitching hobby and sometimes the memories of when the stitching was being done takes on special meaning too.
    Nice photo of the honeysuckle too.

    ReplyDelete