Saturday, April 11, 2020

Happy Easter!

Another week of staying home.  Another week of hoping and praying that the COVID-19 pandemic will soon be under control and the worrying and anxiety can ease.  I spent some time this week on adding stitches to my March Linen and Thread ornament. I don't plan ahead which colours are going to go where--I just wing it as I go along, and so far I have been pleased with how each ornament has evolved. 


I was getting tired of making the same dish cloth pattern over and over again so decided to try something different.  I had a dish cloth in my collection that someone else had made for me years ago and wanted to try to copy it.  I discussed my plan with an experienced knitting friend, and then got started.  I am not that far into this dish cloth yet, but it is coming along.  I have to think more as I do it to keep the knitting and pearling from getting mixed up.   Here is a picture of what I have made so far as well as the dishcloth I am using as my pattern.  It doesn't look like much yet but I think I am on the right track.



I finished all the blocks for the lap quilt I showed last week and then laid them out in different layouts to see what I would like the best. I ended up with 25 blocks--this one used 20 blocks.


This one was interesting, but I was not sure I wanted a square quilt.


I finally decided on a zigzag pattern, using 24 blocks, which made the quilt long and skinny.  I added a pieced border on the sides to make it wider and then narrower borders on the top and bottom.


 It was a windy day when we went out to the front porch for pictures. The side borders remind me of the filmstrips we used to watch in school.


I will be quilting this one myself but do not have any backing fabric for it right now.  I will work on ordering some this week so I can get it finished.

More scrub hats were made for health care workers at the hospital.  There is an army of volunteers making these hats and hundreds of them have been delivered to the hospital.  I plan on making more next week. 


Earlier this week, it was recommended that we all start wearing masks in places where it is hard to physically distance from others, such as the grocery store.   My next door neighbour works at a local grocery store so I found some food fabric and made her a couple of masks for work.  This one features peppers and the second one had apples on it.


I am working on masks for family members now, including this one for my MIL.  I put elastic on hers so it would be easier to put on and off.  She has sheep on hers.


The others will be finished early next week.


Finn and I enjoyed some time in the backyard this week when it was sunny and warm.  Friday morning, we woke up to snow on the ground so we did not sit in the backyard that day!  The snow has melted now--we are hoping for more backyard time next week.


Even though it looks big in this picture, this is a tiny flower on a tree in our neighbourhood.  I am not sure what type of tree---I will wait until the leaves come out to figure that out.

I will be linking up with Kathy's gang of Slow Stitchers in the morning.   Happy Easter everyone.  We will get thought this, one day at a time.

7 comments:

  1. nice that you were able to be out in the sun for awhile before it snowed again - now maybe it will go into spring for sure for you. here we are to get cold again too and might have to bring my plants inside. Love all your stitching and all the designs you show

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cap pattern looks way easier than the one I made for my sister.
    Is that an online pattern?
    I love the layout for your lap quilt... the first ideas were nice, but yours is aweseome!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the linen and thread ornament, the colours are excellent, really classy! Nice lap quilt especially the layout you chose with the film strip down one side. Glad you managed some outdoor time with Finn. He is beginning to look fluffy. I bathed and clipped Lola last week, except her legs! So today I got the scissors and started on them. She has skinny back legs now and fluffy front! Take care and happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have been really busy! I love the colours you are using for March's ornament. I have just started stitching the big plant for April and choosing where to put my colours was so tricky. Your masks and hats are brilliant too. Are they easy to make?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stitching, and beautiful quilt. Your masks and hats are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby and I were able to sit on our front porch this morning in the sunlight. I love the design you decided on for your quilt. I too have been stitching masks for family. I really love your latest cross-stitch ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  7. X-stitch, knitting, quilting, walking .... everything I love too! My dog Gracie & I also sat outside while I pulled weeds and she stood guard. It's been very windy and once again too cold to sit outside. Enjoy that good weather when you can!

    ReplyDelete