Saturday, October 3, 2020

Lupins, Slow Knitting and a Finished Quilt Top

My lupin blocks continue to accumulate...I finished 4 more blocks this afternoon. 28/48 blocks have been completed.  This fat quarter adds some more red-violet to the mix. 


I have four of each of these 7 blocks. 


I started a new knitting project last weekend...another facecloth in turquoise.  I have a few more repeats of the pattern to go before this one is done. I will be working on it tomorrow. 


The final layout for the London Modern Guild HST BOM was published this past week so I set to getting my blocks sewn together.  My blocks are 9" squares so the quilt was a bit small, even for a baby quilt.  I decided to add a navy striped border to bring the final size up to 34 X 44".  I found some backing material in my stash and will get it pin basted and quilted soon.  I have enough orange fabric leftover for the binding.  I will likely use orange or navy thread for the quilting. 


 My daughter has started two new handwork projects.  She is teaching herself to embroider by doing a small sampler and trying out different stitches including satin stitch, lazy daisy, stem stitch and French knots, among others. 


She has also started a blackwork project which will be a Christmas gift for someone who does not read my blog. 


I am still deciding on colours for my blackwork project... Stay tuned...maybe there will be pictures next week. 

Fall is in full gear around here.  My husband and I went for a walk this afternoon at the local elevated park 


Last weekend, we hiked by Lake Huron. 



Finn enjoyed a walk with my daughter today.  He loves being outside. 


I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

12 comments:

  1. Your lupins are definitely growing! It's nice to see your daughters first steps into free style embroidery. I have a blackwork sampler I stitched which I like but haven't done anything with, not sure what to do with it. I will be interested to see the technique in a different colour. Beautiful autumn colours and Finn is as gorgeous as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lupins are beautiful. Don't they look fabulous sitting next to each other. Fall is showing off there, isn't it. Such glorious hues. The photo with the sunlight filtering through the trees is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful fall color - looks like you are out doing mother/daughter hiking too - we started to do that almost every weekend lately

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the lupins! I adore fall in all its glory - your captures of it are glorious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is another pretty cloth pattern you are knitting!
    So happy to see your daughter continuing to try more types of hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Love the Lupin strips...so pretty. And your red diamond quilt is awesome. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making fantastic progress on the lupin strips. Looks like a beautiful area for a hike. Love your turquoise cloth! One of my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Lupins are growing quickly!

    Very pretty hand stitching from your daughter.

    Autumn looks wonderful for your walk. It's been nothing but rain here in the UK for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am enjoying watching you add to those Lupins. Your walk looks wonderful. I really like all the other projects that you showed today also. Looks like your daughter is branching out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love seeing hiking pictures and enjoy all the beautiful scenery wherever a quilter takes me! Your Lupins are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. different subject, I wanted you to know that you inspired me to do the 100 City Blocks! I have over 65 done so far and and have used black and white prints in every block and tons of novelty prints. Setting with gray grunge to really set the blocks off. Thank you for the inspiration.

    October 11, 2020 at 10:20 AM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to leave comment here, but after multiple tries on your newest post, Blogger would not take the reply.

    ReplyDelete