Saturday, October 10, 2020

Progress on Many Fronts!


 I have been working on these modified Geese Migration blocks for the last couple of months with the aim of making 16 different coloured blocks from my scrap bins.  Each block has 25 different fabrics in it so there are 400 different fabrics in this quilt!  There was no noticeable difference in the volume of scraps in any of my scrap bins after making these blocks, so I will have to come up with another scrappy quilt to use up some of these scraps.  Each block is 10.5" square.  I am not sure how I am going to set them yet.  Here are close ups of the three blocks I made earlier this week:

Navy Blue: several of these scraps were leftover from my Blue Ridge Beauty quilt that I made 8 years ago. 


White with black:  Those owls are my favourite!


Black with white:  The square with the orange bug is the backing fabric for my Tula Pink 100 Modern Blocks sampler. 


Of course, I made 4 more lupin blocks this week, this time using some purple pearl bracelets fabric.  


I have 8 sets of 4 lupin blocks completed for a total of 32/48 blocks completed.  I have chosen the final 4 fabrics that I will use for the remaining blocks.  I will try to continue to make 4 per week but can't guarantee that I won't get impatient and just finish the rest in one fell swoop.  Here is a sample of each block I have made so far. 


I started a new Block of the Month quilt this week, because, of course, I need another project!  My friend, Sandra is leading a BOM for her guild, the Twilight Quilt Guild, based on a pattern published by the Knoxville Modern Guild in 2012 (with permission).  This week, I gathered up my fabrics from my stash and made my first block.  I have a few striped and dotty fabrics chosen as well as a funky glasses print.  The top fabric, a gray hash dot by Michael Miller, is the background.  The orange fabrics look red in this picture.


Here is my first block.  


The stripes and directional glasses print are going to be fun to play with!  If you would like to join in the fun of this Modern BOM, here is the link to the BOM blog. The September 14th post has the instructions for the first block. 

In the knitting department, I finished another facecloth!  Excuse the second picture for being sideways!!



My daughter and I have both been doing lots of embroidery/blackwork this week.  She finished her practice piece:


Then, she started a "real" project:


Here is my daughter's blackwork project, which inspired me to work on one too. I love the bee!


And here is my project...based on a Celtic knot design. 


I'm reading the next book for the library book club--Anxious People by Fredrik Backman.  I am only 50 pages in but it's good so far!


The garden always has something interesting going on...this week, our burning bush is red hot!


The fall colours continue to be spectacular this week.  I took this picture one morning on my walk. 


Finn wishes all of our Canadian readers a wonderful, socially distanced,  and safe Thanksgiving.  Our family will be getting together on Zoom tomorrow. Finn and my daughter did not come home this weekend.  I am thankful that we can all see each other via technology during these COVID-19 times.




16 comments:

  1. Wow, I love all those pretty projects. You daughter's embroidery project is beautiful. I really like blackwork. I have to try one very soon. That Celtic one is really pretty. The fall colors haven't made it here yet. Our walks are still full of green trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your daughter are doing great embroidery projects.
    WOW, WOW and WOW for the wonderful fall colors near you ♥
    Happy Slow Sunday Stitching for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Geese Migration so far and am curious to see how you set it. These rainbow scrappy projects are so much fun and so helpful for getting me into the depths of my different colored scrap boxes.
    Thanks for the recommendation about Bachman's latest - it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SEW many wonderful pictures and projects!! Thanks for sharing the link to the BOM. Not that I need one more distraction from the projects already at hand (because I don't!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Beautiful quilty projects...the embroidery work is beautiful. Love all the changing colors of fall. Have
    a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving! it will be different for a lot of people this year I know - the social gatherings kept to a minimum it will be like that next month here for a lot of us also. Love all the works that you show

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your fall colors, so vibrant! Love your modern blocks and the embroidery is nice eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great group of projects and wonderful use of your scraps! I did one recently that used up about 200 2.5 inch squares and it didn't even make a dent, plus I have 3 huge containers that need to be cut up still. Loved seeing your projects and beautiful outdoor shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy thanksgiving Gail! So many lovely projects. Your daughters work is fabulous (she's really been bitten by the embroidery bug) great colour combination for your new BOM project too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS Beautiful autumn colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful projects and scenery! We are having a socially distant meal outdoors with my parents today.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, your scrap bin has a myriad of patterns and fabric of every colour, hasn't it. Those blocks are fabulous. Your daughter's practice embroidery looks as if she has been embroidering forever. Love both her's and your blackwork pretties. It looks as if autumn is in full swing there.....such glorious hues.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into your many and varied projects. Lovely outdoorsy photos too, and I always like to see Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what fun blocks. I love the graphic black and white. You have so many great fabrics!
    Your embroidery projects are lovely and what a sweet photo of Finn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both your daughter's and your embroidery projects. So nice to stitch with a daughter, isn't it? Your lupines are lovely too. I've read three books by Fredrik Backman and loved all three. I put Anxious People on hold through my library now too. Thanks for the so-far-so-good recommendation!

    ReplyDelete