Saturday, October 24, 2020

Stitching Report


I finished off the walking foot quilting on my London Modern Guild HST BOM quilt this week. The orange diamond was my focal point and the quilting lines ran parallel to each side of the diamond, creating an X of parallel lines and other areas of cross hatching off each corner of the diamond.  I used orange thread for the quilting and even though this is a relatively small quilt, I went through 3 bobbins of thread!  


 The orange binding is leftover from the HST's. I just love those seagulls!


I purchased the backing fabric on sale several months ago, before COVID, just to have on hand for a backing.  You can see the quilting a bit better in the picture below. 


The second block in the Modern BOM was posted this week and I did not waste any time getting it done.  I added some more fabrics to the bin for this quilt and will continue to use the glasses fabric and the gray hash dot fabric in every block.  I have chosen several other striped and dotty fabrics for this quilt. 


Here are the two blocks I have made so far. 


I figured out this week that I probably do not have enough of the gray Michael Miller hashdot fabric and have been checking with local quilt stores to no avail.  If a Canadian Store near you has a yard of this fabric, please let me know and I will order it!


I attended a quilting workshop today taught by Mary Elizabeth Kinch on Zoom. I met Mary Elizabeth several years ago at the Beaver Island Quilt Retreat that Gwen Marston used to run. Mary Elizabeth is in love with making large quilts out of tiny pieces and today's class was an introduction to her methods for cutting and sewing small pieces of fabric. The finished quilt, Summerhill, will include 4 blocks as well as a pieced border. We made a start on the four blocks today and here is the result of my day of sewing.


I am digging into my cool solid scraps for this quilt and throwing in some red-violet scraps for fun. Stay tuned for more progress on these blocks. 


My blackwork project is moving right along--I'm working on the 5th colourful square now.  My daughter is also stitching along on her landscape and the honeycomb.  




I have 4 sets of four blocks cut out for my lupin quilt and hope to sew these this coming week.  As you know, the cutting takes quite a while!


My husband and I went for a walk by Lake Erie today before supper and came across a large flock of seagulls taking to the air. 


I will be linking up with Kathy in the morning for the weekly Slow stitching party at her blog. If you would like to read the story of my music challenge quilt, you can read it here

12 comments:

  1. You have so much stitching going on and all are beautiful, I love the blackwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt and quilting blocks. I am in love with the blackwork you and your daughter are stitching. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of the seagulls taking flight is incredible. Such a great shot. The quilting design on your BOM HST is perfect for this quilt and yes, the seagull print is very cool. Your quilt "Thank you for the Music" is a beautiful quilt depicting a beautiful and heartfelt story. I loved reading the story behind this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the eyeglass fabric in the new basket-weave block. The quilting on the HST BOM quilt is perfect. The Hashdot fabric you are looking for is being sold on Etsy by Simply Sewn Fabrics. You and your daughter's cross-stitch and embroidery pieces are so very pretty. You have a lot of pretty projects in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun quilt! i love the simplicity of the straight lines. The seagull photo is amazing!! wow.
    wonderful stitchery! the bees are very charming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the finish... that's a lot of thread in that project!
    Gorgeous photo of the seagulls... the lighting is perfect!
    Your zoom class sounds like something I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your finish. Love that musical challenge! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your projects are all so lovely. It's a great finish too. It's amazing how much thread is needed to quilt even a small quilt! That is a fantastic photo of the seagulls taking flight. The light in the early evening is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the honey comb and bee stitching - is there a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is from https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/PeppermintPurple

      Delete
  10. Wow, you've been busy with lots of beautiful projects. I really love your orange quilt. The quilting is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilted Modern BOM quilt is really pretty. What a fabulous job you did and the quilting accented it all perfectly. Way to be brave and use the bold orange thread too. The 3 embroidery projects looks wonderful too. You sure got a great shot of the gulls taking off. Must have made quite a racket with all those flapping wings! ;^)

    ReplyDelete